• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

BigPhilMD's Grow Log 2011

Hello everybody and welcome to my first grow log! I live in the city and I don't have any land so I'm stuck growing in buckets wherever I can. Last year was my first attempt at growing peppers which resulted in some success. This year I'm taking a giant leap and starting from seeds and growing a ton of plants. I have no idea where I'll have room once I have full grown plants.

I started some seeds in small plastic shot glasses on top of coffee filters and didn't get much action out of the seeds. I moved them to here:

311ClearingCamera036.jpg

My pepper-lovin' girlfriend, lellie1o1, bought me a great 72 cell container/germination station with a lid and a heat mat. Soil is Espona Organic Seed Starter. I bought a small clip light with a 60w CFL natural white bulb. I know the light isn't sufficient, but I have 3 roommates that I needed to split the energy costs with. I'd feel bad having a large rig. I just keep it on all the time and switch it back and forth to either side of the dome.

311ClearingCamera040.jpg

lellie1o1 and I carefully seeded each cell with two seeds just because we had a ton of seeds and wanted to be sure we had enough plants in the end. It's been three weeks since I started germinating and almost two weeks in soil.

BIGPHILMD'S GROW LIST

From Hot Pooper:
Chocolate Hab[sub]1[/sub] x 4
Chocolate Hab[sub]2[/sub] x 4
Yellow 7 Pot x 16
Bonda Ma Jacques x 16
Fatalli x 12
Black Pearl x 4
Peruvian White Hab x 4
Tabasco x 6

Seeds from last year's plants:
Cayenne x 12
Anaheim x 12

Seeds from Peppermania via lellie1o1:
Lemon Drop x 6
Chile Arbol x 4
Cajamarca x 4

Mixed/Mystery seeds from Ajijoe x 40

Why so many Mystery seeds? I'd like to see what grows the best in this climate, even if I don't know exactly what kind of plant it is. Most of the mystery seeds sprouted early so I'm thinking they're annuums.

Here's the spectacular chart lellie1o1 drew beautifully.

311ClearingCamera041.jpg

311ClearingCamera039.jpg

311ClearingCamera038.jpg

Here's hopin' it pays off!

me thinks someone played a dirty trick and switched all the tags.

Lots of pods since last week!

How are the plants that were looking yellow, are they looking any better?

They're still looking pretty yellow. It appears to be a drainage issue to me. Most of the yellow plants are a bit stunted too.

On the bright side, if anyone tries to steal my peppers they could be in for a huge surprise. If they go for the plant labeled 'Anaheim' and grab a BMJ they may not steal from me again.

Photo Update: Day 166

Remember, my plants are all mixed up so I don't know exactly what I have. :doh: If you think you can positively identify an unknown pepper, please let don't be shy. Thanks! :)

Unknown Chinense and flower (Maybe Choco Hab, Maybe Yellow 7?)
IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

Chinese Multicolor
IMAG0090.jpg

Unknown (either Jalapeno or Rocoto?)
IMAG0089.jpg

Chocolate Bhut
IMAG0095.jpg

Unknown Chinense and flower (Yellow 7 I assume)
IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

Fish Pepper
IMAG0096.jpg

Biker Billy Jalapeno
IMAG0097.jpg

Unknown Chinense (Red Fatalli?)
IMAG0109.jpg

Back