• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

BillyIdle's new grow room

Started yesterday with my new grow room. It's really not a room, just an awkward dead end on the 2. floor (or maybe you call it first floor?). Anyway, it needed some white painting, and here you can see the progress so far:

Starting off with this
imgp5280.jpg

First layer of paint added
imgp5281.jpg

Second layer of pain added
imgp5283.jpg

The "finished" result
imgp5287.jpg

Well that's how far I've gotten for now. Good enough to start off. I might add a wall to keep the temps up, and to keep the lights inside. This looks insane from the first floor, as it's just beside the stairs. And the stairs are the first thing you see when you enter our home...

Billy,

I would consider adding a "front door" to the room. Perhaps nothing but a couple pieces of mylar or something similar. You will be amazed how much brighter that will make it.

Mike

very good use of "dead space" BI...great idea...

I love the way it looks...it looks nice...

You can get some panda plastic (black on one side, white on the other) from a hydro shop. It's a lot thicker than mylar and better for just hanging as a wall. They also sell zippers that you stick on. After you stick it on, you unzip it and cut the plastic inside the zipper with a knife. Tada, instant door.

Pretty cheap too. Only thing you wanna think about is ventilation if you close it off. Gotta circulate that air.

Other than that looks great dude. I can't wait to see how it looks full of plants :)

AlabamaJack said:
very good use of "dead space" BI...great idea...

I love the way it looks...it looks nice...

Thanx! I had plans for two other locations in the house, before this idea struck me. The space was only used for gathering junk anyway.

Gary18 said:
looks great billy i agree with wordwiz about the mylar is it 2 x 250watt enviros

McGoo said:
Looks awesome. Are those cfl's?

Those are 250W CFLs. Unfortunately the 2700K is broken, and only outputs light on one side :(

wordwiz said:
Billy,

I would consider adding a "front door" to the room. Perhaps nothing but a couple pieces of mylar or something similar. You will be amazed how much brighter that will make it.

Mike

Txclosetgrower said:
You can get some panda plastic (black on one side, white on the other) from a hydro shop. It's a lot thicker than mylar and better for just hanging as a wall. They also sell zippers that you stick on. After you stick it on, you unzip it and cut the plastic inside the zipper with a knife. Tada, instant door.

Pretty cheap too. Only thing you wanna think about is ventilation if you close it off. Gotta circulate that air.

Other than that looks great dude. I can't wait to see how it looks full of plants :)

Yes, there will be some kind of door, as I mentioned in my post. But that was just for keeping the lights inside. Wasn't thinking about this as a great way to increase lightning for the plants. Good idea!

The only problem I have is getting hold of the kind of material you are talking about. There aren't any shops for this around here. Hardly any at all in Norway :( I also have a hard time finding good stores on internet wanting to send to Norway.

Any ideas for a DIY vantilations project? The local store had a system designed to move heat between two rooms. It was perfect, but it cost about $150.

BillyIdle said:
Well that's how far I've gotten for now. Good enough to start off. I might add a wall to keep the temps up, and to keep the lights inside. This looks insane from the first floor, as it's just beside the stairs. And the stairs are the first thing you see when you enter our home...

Laugh maniacally, rub your hands together, and say "That's just my little experiment" if people ask.

You've done a great job, and it is the perfect place to put a grow room. I bet normal people would have turned it into a closet or something.

McGoo said:
:shocked: I thought my 18W version was alright. Im only doing seedlings though.

If just have 30 of them, you're gonne be ok ;)
But more seriously, this grow room is meant for year round growing, so I need all the light I can get. I still have 4 x 18W fluros still to be added.

Pam said:
Laugh maniacally, rub your hands together, and say "That's just my little experiment" if people ask.

MUHAHAHAHAHA!

Pam said:
You've done a great job, and it is the perfect place to put a grow room. I bet normal people would have turned it into a closet or something.

Thanx! I think the reason my better half hasn't required a closet conversion of the space is simply because this is not near any of the bed rooms in the house. And for general storage, we have all the space we need and more. The house is way too big for two persons but I love it :lol:

Billy,

Unless your house is not cooled in summer, I don't really think heat will be a major concern. I have 5 105 watt CFL bulbs along one wall, two 150 watt HID and a 105 watt CFL in a box (with the lid slightly raised and the room is maybe a degree or two warmer. If the temps don't get much above 85 or so, it would probably help the seedling grow.

Mike

wordwiz: If I close the space, even just with white plastic, I am quite sure the heat will build up. I agree with Gary18 that I will need to extract some of the heat. This will of course have to be connected to an external thermostat.

This morning, 1 minute after the lamps turned on the temp was 18ËšC (64ËšF), and now in the afternoon it's built up to 25ËšC (77ËšF), without any wall. And still one of the CFLs just has light on one side, so right now there's 375W of light. When everything is finished, and the defect bulb is replaced, there will be 572W of light!

Nice looking set-up BillyIdle! I agree on the use of a fan to exchange stale air in your grow room. What types of peppers do you have in the ATM? How many months do you have to grow peppers outside so far north?

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Nice looking set-up BillyIdle! I agree on the use of a fan to exchange stale air in your grow room. What types of peppers do you have in the ATM? How many months do you have to grow peppers outside so far north?

Thanks.
Let me see, I've got Super Chile, Orange Habanero, Peter Pepper Yellow, Fatalii, Early Jalapeño, Naga Morich, 7 pod, Purple Pequin and an unknown variety from the local store (something spanish it says). Except for the Super Chiles there's still no size on the plants yet. 18 plants so far and 4 seeds waiting to sprout. Not bad for a first timer, I would say :lol:

I'm not sure there will be any outdoor growing, as the summers here are rather cold. night temps can get as low as 5ËšC during the night, even in july. I might try a plant or two though.

BillyIdle said:
Any ideas for a DIY vantilations project? The local store had a system designed to move heat between two rooms. It was perfect, but it cost about $150.

Depending on how much heat you have to move, you could get away with a really small round fan taped to some dryer ducting. I've cooled a 1000W HPS with a fan i got for $10 lol. I'll have to see if i can find pics. But basically, I just got a small fan, took some of that silver ducting, stuck it to the back of the fan and taped it up real good so the back of the fan was air tight. Kept the room at 80degrees with a 1000W bulb......Beats the hell out of spending the 150+ bucks on one of those inline fans.

It's a little ghetto, but hey, it works & is cheap lol.

One tip is to hang the end of the ventillation tube toward the ceiling in the grow room and have the intake toward the floor. Helps move more air through convection.

Txclosetgrower said:
Depending on how much heat you have to move, you could get away with a really small round fan taped to some dryer ducting. I've cooled a 1000W HPS with a fan i got for $10 lol. I'll have to see if i can find pics. But basically, I just got a small fan, took some of that silver ducting, stuck it to the back of the fan and taped it up real good so the back of the fan was air tight. Kept the room at 80degrees with a 1000W bulb......Beats the hell out of spending the 150+ bucks on one of those inline fans.

It's a little ghetto, but hey, it works & is cheap lol.

One tip is to hang the end of the ventillation tube toward the ceiling in the grow room and have the intake toward the floor. Helps move more air through convection.

Sounds good. I was thinking about using a 120mm PC case fan, and connect it to a venting hose. Another advantage of extracing the air out from a high point in the grow room is that the heat is rising, so you will get a more effective system for removing the excess heat. Guess I could get away with a $30 investment.

Back