• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Black dots around leaf edges?

Hello guys ! I've done a bit of forum searching for something similar but haven't found anything, so your help would be really appreciated!

This is an overwintered Trinidad Scorpion; it didn't give me any fruit the first year since it was too small. It has grown a bit now and already produced some buds (which I pinched). There have been some aphids, hence the malformed new leaves you see in the picture, but overall it has not been a major problem (I check them everyday and remove between 1 and 8 aphids each time). Also, due to some fertilizer-enriched soil I bought, there was a bit of tip burn on some leaves (yes, I've learned my lesson; no more "magic soil" for me).

What I can't figure out are the small black spots around the edges of some leaves. It has been spreading a bit, but I don't know if it's nute burn or a viral/bacterial problem.

img9700t.jpg

Also, there are some leaves with a bit of chlorosis between veins (magnesium?) and with a downward curl around the edges, as seen in this picture.

img9701e.jpg

What should I do? I'm a bit lost here.

i have the same on my over wintered pepper plants and have no idea what it is. i find no pests. seems t be on my habs, scorps and bhut but not on my aji :(

Bummer mate, looks like you have got Black Spot.
I got it pretty heavily last season for the first time and was not good. It's a fungus and is treated with copper sprays, Mancozeb etc.
You need to also remove the infected leaves and dispose of in the bin too. It is usually from moist damp conditions and also got it from a bato hydro system which has a resevoir at the bottom and the roots stayed too moist.

Google Black Spot and you will find out more info. Hope this helps.

Happy Chilli Growing,
Micca

Yeah. It could be black spot. It could be that your magic soil contained bacteria. Sometimes, watering the plant, rather than watering the roots, gives rise to fungal infections. Search the forum for black spot, fungus, and bacteria (seperate searches) and you are bound to find someone who has posted a pic and a solution to the same problem you are experiencing. Good luck, hope it will work out alright for you.
-ms1476

Thanks for the replies! Although I made this post in October, I think I should update you:

As I had no idea what to do, I just removed all the affected leaves, which was about 50% of them. Then I moved it to a bigger pot and it took off real quick! It was doing well until a couple of weeks ago, when it started dropping leaves and buds (they went yellow and would fall when I touched them). The temps have been around 83°F, but it's in a place that gets quite hot in my house. So I moved it to a semi-shaded place this week, and it seems to be happier now. We'll have to see how that goes.

Oh, and the spots haven't reappeared since then ;)

Back