• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Black inside pods or skin - Irregular watering / BER? HELP

Hi Yall,

I have been having trouble with my potted peppers lately.

They are in 7 gallon fabric pots with compost/perlite/peat mix. Peppers take a while to ripen so I don't want to waste every pepper on the plant.

So far, about 50% of the 7 pot Chaguanas I harvested had black spots inside or on the skin.

I am thinking it might be because of some heavy rain we have received in Montreal lately. I try to let the peppers dry out before watering but I don't have an extremely high yield to waste!!!

Should I add mulch in the pots?
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Teurf

Too much water can rot the insides of the ripening pods...mulch will make the situation worse. It's best to have fast draining containers that are heavy on  perlite than have roots sitting in wet medium with no oxygen. The bottom 1/3 of my 18 gal pots have additional perlite mix in for that purpose. I do have to water more often when we get the 90 deg temps. During the Autumn weather when the night temps drop and the rain is often more often, I tend to pick the pods off prior to fully ripening....because of the mold possibilities.

How does the plant look....no leaf virus ?  

Back