• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Black mamba question

DevilDuck said:
To me, the SHU number is a game. Joe Q. Public sees that as some kind of fact when in reality it's just an estimate. SOME hot sauce makers use those numbers as a marketing tool. Just like beer companies use hot chicks on a beach with fat slobs. Makes the fat slobs think they can score a hot chick.

Beer companies may use chicks to sell beer but the beer says 5% alcohol is has 5% .
The Heat hit it on the head when he said it is a science and that science does not come cheap so that is why I am sure we get sauces saying that they are twice as hot as the first and so on when in fact it is too much money to spend on every sauce that a maker puts out and also each batch of some sauces differ in pepper quality so they would rate different each time.

The Creator and IGG are right, this is one area where the science isn't exact, and it probably will never be.

SHU rating is inexact versus taste because the capsaicinoids are a FAMILY of chemicals, not just one chemical. Some act fast, but don't linger, others produce more of a slow burn. At this point you are starting to compare apples to oranges, metaphorically speaking.

Even if you had an exact method of getting a SHU for an example, that's all you would have, the SHU for a sample. The SHU for peppers will vary from fruit to fruit, even from the same plant. Batch to batch there will be minor differences in the sauce.

TheHeat and Klyth seem like they are new to the game, and I remember when I was new to the game I had certain fascination with the SHU. But as I started trying new things, I quickly realized it was the flavor I savored.

Try enough stuff and eventually you'll know where to draw the line...sort of. The more you eat, the more your body builds up tolerance. When I had Dave's Insanity for the first time in 2000, I scarfed down half a loaf of bread trying to remove the heat, now it doesn't phase me. If I would have tried Defcon 0 which is WAY beyond insanity (Defcon 0 is the hottest stuff I had IMO, hotter than the Jolokia powder CaJohn had) 3 years ago, I don't think I would have survived the experience. Now I can, but that might just be because I've been assimilated by years of ingesting Defcon.

You'll eventally tire of the "numbers game", because you'll eventually come across some cheap extract that tastes like chemical waste (acetone, acetonitrile), and you'll appreciate the flavor more.

dreamtheatervt said:
You'll eventally tire of the "numbers game", because you'll eventually come across some cheap extract that tastes like chemical waste (acetone, acetonitrile), and you'll appreciate the flavor more.

so I guess you could also say , what matters more is the ingredients. most of us know what ingredients (flavors) we like & the chiles that give us the heat/burn/flavor we like.

or if you're looking for something just for insane heat, make sure capsicum extract/oil or ? is in there & be the 1st ingredient or very close.

Back