• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Black pepers!!!

CH9TBL1WIAAYXpp.jpg

I baught some pepers that i thaught were bell and turned out hot (long skinny kind) and after a while blackening started to occure on them. I have no idea why and if i can still eat them. They look okay on inside, smell okay, only thing is the dark skin, dont know if i should discard or its just a discoloration due to soil or something. I'll try to link a picture, its my first time on here so not sure it will work. If any of you have any idea how to stop this and if its safe to eat or not. It's also been a rather bad spring (20th of june now) was cold and lots of rain. Thanks ahead for your input.

Depends what caused blackening. If it's blossom rot, then yes, if not, then they should be fine.
Edit: If they're fine inside, it's probably sun tanning. They could be fine, but get other people's opinions.

If the walls of the pods where the black is are still firm and not soft, then as svfd1118 said, sunburn. However, if they're softer than the rest of the pod, likely something to avoid. The pic is too far away to get a good read on them. If you can get a closer picture, that would help.

thank for the answeres, i had never seen black peppers before. now im of to the cooking forum find some ways to put them to use :D

Fearnoth said:
thank for the answeres, i had never seen black peppers before. now im of to the cooking forum find some ways to put them to use :D
Later in the growing season some of my lemon drops will even look purplish in spots.  

Perfectly fine, it is just a part of the ripening process caused by exposure to the sun.

20150310_150733.jpg

Just as long as the color doesn't look like rot on the inside of the pod.

SR.

Back