• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Black spots on Reaper leaves

Hi everyone

I had a quick search around but couldn't find pics of exactly this happening to others so I hope I'm not repeating someone else's question. Today I noticed a bunch of small black holes on both my Reaper leaves - one more than the other. They grow next to a bunch of other plants in the same conditions - orange and chocolate bhuts, morugas, fatalis, etc, and only these two plants got these holes on them.

We did have a lot of rain in the last 48 hours so I'm guessing that might be because of too much water. I did feed them with 7-4-10 but that was a week ago, i don't do it more often than once a week. The soil does have a lot of sand in it so it does drain relatively well, when it stops raining that is.

Here are pics of the leaves on the worst one (this one is also more exposed to the rain, the other Reaper is slightly more sheltered):
2014_10_29_12_42_41.jpg

2014_10_29_12_42_52.jpg

I also found a bunch of these flies sitting on leaves and they flew off as I touched the plants - I sprayed everything with a mild soapy water  afterwards jsut in case. Is there anything else I should do about them? Would they be causing these black spots? Although they were sitting on all plants (maybe 2-3 per plant) but only the Reapers are affected at this point.

2014_10_29_12_43_04.jpg

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way I have 3 more reapers from the same batch of seeds inside a greenhouse and they are all without any spots, they ofcourse only get watered as they are meant to be.

Yeah,looks like leaf spot.Get some copper powder and nuke em.
I dont think those flies are anything to worry about.I have them in my tunnel too.

Edit: Post some picks of the bhut and Naga you got of me in the kiwi thread.keen for a look.

Hey yeah they are actual holes in the leaf. Cool thanks will find some copper powder for this, and yeah will definitely post up a few pics!

Cool thanks PrimeTime will see what the copper powder does.. I gotta try save these plants, or at least stop it from spreading around.

Edit: Hey actually i just double checked and only a couple of those spots are holes, the rest are just spots

they will be holes in short order
Saw this 3-4 yrs back,nuked it(as youve already been advised) and havent seen it since

I didnt have the time to get the copper stuff yesterday so looked up a home-made remedy for the time being - it was a small bit of baking soda, some oil and dishwashing detergent. Sprayed the plants and a bit around them - checked today after work and the spots are still there ofcourse but are less prominent, and despite a lot of rain today too they havent increased in numbers. So looks like it worked fine. Will keep an eye on it though and will get the copper powder if comes back again but hopefully this was the last of this.

Back