• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

blanket apology

I sent a bunch of people seed from a charapita plant that I grew from seed I collected in Peru. I had presumed that given how the pods I got in 2012 looked true to the pods I had eaten while there, it was a pure landrace plant.  Now that I am growing out three of its progeny (from the same stock I sent out to members of this forum), I'm finding wrong characteristics in all three. While they are clearly charapita-esque, they don't look the same as the mother plant or a plant I cloned from the original plant and gave to my nephew. There's variation but these seedlings all have leaves that are too big and pods that are a bit elongate rather than perfectly round. 

It looks like either my plant was a hybrid that had retained normal charapita characteristics, or it was pure but it's a strain that out-pollinates like crazy, resulting in a high rate of outcrossed progeny.

All of my other starts from seed I collected in 2012 look okay. Just the charapitas that look funky.

So, sorry if you were one of those who got goofy seeds from me.

Back