• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bleach solution for sterilizing pots

I'm getting ready to start some seeds, and am planning on using used trays and pots as much as possible this year. What's the preferred bleach to water ratio? And how long to soak them?

Thanks!

I cleaned mine outdoors at the end of the season , (that and painting a closet are two things that I never look forward to doing, nobody sees them, but they have to get done.)
You could check the end of my glog out from 2012 or to sum it up... I rinsed the trays with water, I had one 20 gal utility tub filled with diluted dish washing suds and a 20 gal diluted with 1/2 gal of bleach and water (wear gloves). The trays and pots would get scrubbed with a stiff nylon brush while in the suds, rinsed off once again with water then dunked in the "clorox" solution and scrubbed with another nylon brush. It doesn't have to spend any longer in the bleach then the time it takes to scrub. The trays were rinsed once again and finally dryed off outdoors in the sun.

You can use a slop sink/wash tub indoors and possibly getting away with a bottle bleach spray. This may seem like a waste or odd to some folks, but I haven't had any indoor pest
issues in years...outside of the occasional fungal gnats. The problem with the trays and containers is that either scale, mealy or white fly eggs can stick to ridges, creases and under lips on the trays outside of what my be lingering under some left over soil or debris in the bottom of either.

Sorry for the rant, but its one less worry and becomes a "clean" start for the plants during your indoor grow

Greg

I usually just add a couple tablespoons to a spray bottle and fill w/water,then spray and scrub them down w/that and some Simple Green until I feel it's clean enough,and use hot water if possible as well!

Thanks for the answers.
I haven't had any bad pest or disease problems in the past, and all my gear has been sitting in the greenhouse which has gotten down to below zero temps, but I just want to be extra sure. I figure a couple hours of cleaning is worth it. :P

What about sterilizing a grow tent? Same ratio? Also, how diluted should bleach be so it doesn't hurt a plants foliage?

I don't think spraying plants with any mix of bleach and water is a good idea. What are you trying to do to the plants that requires bleach?

The usual recommend rate is 16 to 1. That's strong enough to kill any germ you can find. For pots I would go with a teaspoon per quart of water. Bleach is some seriously caustic stuff.

What about sterilizing a grow tent? Same ratio? Also, how diluted should bleach be so it doesn't hurt a plants foliage?
First,you should remove your plants from the grow tent. Then mix a spray bottle w/ 1-2 tablespoons of bleach,fill with water and spray and wipe down everything,but be sure to wear a mask and gloves when doing this and let the tent air out a bit before placing plants back inside as well.

So.... dumb question here. Like Island Dan, I use hydrogen peroxide, not bleach. Part of why I use h2o2 is exactly what he said - it's safe for the plants. I would be concerned about bleach residue possibly leaching into the soil if not rinsed well enough, and who can say what "well enough" is? So why are you using bleach instead of h2o2?

So why are you using bleach instead of h2o2?

I don't know. I've always bought new stuff each year, but now I have plenty to re-use. I'll do whatever is recommended by y'all, and I'll probably rinse about 4x as much as I need to. I just don't want not washing everything to bite me in the a$$ later. :P

I don't know. I've always bought new stuff each year, but now I have plenty to re-use. I'll do whatever is recommended by y'all, and I'll probably rinse about 4x as much as I need to. I just don't want not washing everything to bite me in the a$$ later. :P

Pain in the ass,I did all my big pots and little ones also the same time I yanked my plants. Just rinse the hell out of them after. There are enough indoor pest,and disease threads on here to light a fire under my lazy ass!!! I soak seeds with peroxide but wouldn't put money on it killing eggs.

I never sprayed the foliage of my plants with a bleach mixture,but I did soak my cut down plants in it before overwintering. Late in the season up here it gets really wet,and the plants get BLS and other funky stuff. Are you worried about overspray from cleaning the tent or you are going to spray the foliage?

It's just bare stems at the moment, had a horrible aphid colony on it and I put it outside for a few minutes, almost killed it, but it's making a slow comeback. I just want to sterilize everything in the tent while I have the chance.

Back