• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

bleeding calyx

I have seen pictures posted on this forum of pods with bleeding calyxes, can't remember where exactly.

Does anyone know what is the significance of this, what causes it and do you want it to happen?

By bleeding I mean the green calyx of the chilli pod has red colour coming though it.

the only strain i know that has this is BUBBELGUM 7POT, have one seedling going
i only know that this hybrid is made in UK

yezhead said:
the only strain i know that has this is BUBBELGUM 7POT, have one seedling going
i only know that this hybrid is made in UK

Yeah, bubblegum.  Supposed to be a positive indicator of true phenotype.

The Calyx is the widened area of the stem that attaches to the pod. Seen a couple "True" phenos that bleed but are different. Mine grew true with perfect Moruga shaped pods and they bled through the calyx and up the stem...but Jason (GAgrowhead) had better looking calyx wider and looked like red wax that had been poured over the end of the pod...

Here is a pic of one of mine beginning to bleed...
401kQh9.jpg

If left on long enough the entire calyx and stem up about a half inch would turn...but by that time the pods had gone soft so I usually picked them just a little past this stage...

BXmy40L.jpg

Whole plant...

stc3248 said:
The Calyx is the widened area of the stem that attaches to the pod. Seen a couple "True" phenos that bleed but are different. Mine grew true with perfect Moruga shaped pods and they bled through the calyx and up the stem...but Jason (GAgrowhead) had better looking calyx wider and looked like red wax that had been poured over the end of the pod...

Here is a pic of one of mine beginning to bleed...
401kQh9.jpg

If left on long enough the entire calyx and stem up about a half inch would turn...but by that time the pods had gone soft so I usually picked them just a little past this stage...

BXmy40L.jpg

Whole plant...
Here's something I've been wondering,if that piece of stem is red,would it have little heat to it?? Just wondering

That is probably where I saw it on your glog Shane. 

So it means that the plant is the correct phenotype? 

Will all pods on the same plant do this?  I'm just wondering if it indicates the pod is particularly hot or juicy.

MX5 you're welcome!!! Chili whisperer...I dunno I didn't try the stem, but the pods are hot enough for both of them!!! Mega...yeah general consensus is bleeding is the correct pheno. Check out some of Jason's pictures from last year in his glog linked here...

PepperLover said:
the credit for this breed goes to Jon Harper from the UK
he is the one created this pepper about 5 years ago.
Yup Judy...all credit to Jon!!! All I did was stick some seeds in some dirt!

Very cool plant/pod the plant is a vigorous grower and decent producer of some very cool looking, very hot pods.
Search around and you'll find several video reviews on them. Matt (Mgold) and his wife reviewed one I sent him. Nigel did another review...there are others as well. 

Edit: I mentioned those two reviewers as they're both good at really reviewing the pod. They include a history of the pod/lineage and both do a great job of nailing down the flavors and suggested uses for them. There are other great reviewers out there that do the same...just not a fan of the "Look how much freaking pain I am in...I think I am gonna puke!!!" reviews. Compmodder is another great one...the guy is a machine. Never looses his calm demeanor...anyway done with the rant. Sorry!!!

I am growing a blondie at the moment. The calyx turns (bleeds) from green to ivory yellow on mine. I have been taking it as a sign that they are ripe cause it only happens on the ripe pods. I wish my pimenta de neyde did the same.

Boguspokus said:
I am growing a blondie at the moment. The calyx turns (bleeds) from green to ivory yellow on mine. I have been taking it as a sign that they are ripe cause it only happens on the ripe pods. I wish my pimenta de neyde did the same.
? Sounds cool. Got a Pict?

GA Growhead said:
? Sounds cool. Got a Pict?

Sorry to butt in, but I find this calyx bleeding phenomenon interesting. I'm growing blondies, but they are too small yet.

I found an image showing a blondie's calyx bleeding white:

P1060562.JPG

I planned to use them for cross breeding. The bleeding calyx makes me want to cross them even more, lol. I should cross one with a 7 pot bubble gum.

I had an unknown ornamental type from seed from ajijoe growing last season where the calyx turned purple as the pods did.... they didn't change as the pods ripened and it wasn't a complete purpling of the calyx.... almost like how the nodes purple on some strains, but only at the calyx.... doubt its the same thing as bleeding here....

In regards to the stems bleeding and it having heat. I did splice the stem as well and it was moist. So like an idiot I licked it. Has some heat.

Here is a pod from a guy I Germany. He was nice to send seeds from these pods
null_zpsc969677f.jpg

From my pods
null_zpsd653217b.jpg

Just to add the desired shape should also be the morouga shape.

Dulac said:

Sorry to butt in, but I find this calyx bleeding phenomenon interesting. I'm growing blondies, but they are too small yet.

I found an image showing a blondie's calyx bleeding white:

P1060562.JPG

I planned to use them for cross breeding. The bleeding calyx makes me want to cross them even more, lol. I should cross one with a 7 pot bubble gum.
I grew blondies last year, but none did that. Definitely cross that with the bbg7 if you can! Thanks for finding that Pict!

stc3248 said:
MX5 you're welcome!!! Chili whisperer...I dunno I didn't try the stem, but the pods are hot enough for both of them!!! Mega...yeah general consensus is bleeding is the correct pheno. Check out some of Jason's pictures from last year in his glog linked here...

Yup Judy...all credit to Jon!!! All I did was stick some seeds in some dirt!

Very cool plant/pod the plant is a vigorous grower and decent producer of some very cool looking, very hot pods.
Search around and you'll find several video reviews on them. Matt (Mgold) and his wife reviewed one I sent him. Nigel did another review...there are others as well. 

Edit: I mentioned those two reviewers as they're both good at really reviewing the pod. They include a history of the pod/lineage and both do a great job of nailing down the flavors and suggested uses for them. There are other great reviewers out there that do the same...just not a fan of the "Look how much freaking pain I am in...I think I am gonna puke!!!" reviews. Compmodder is another great one...the guy is a machine. Never looses his calm demeanor...anyway done with the rant. Sorry!!!
Kind of late to the game but yes. The stem has heat to it. I've sliced it down the middle. Licked it. And yes. Some. But not much. Glad the seeds grew well and true shane

Back