• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Blood Meal

Sorry if this has been discussed, but i tried searching and wasn't really able to find much specific to this, but if it is out there just refer me to it and i will read it.  I also tried googling and got a variety of answers so i decided to just start a new thread. I bought some blood meal late last year because i had read good things about it and decided i would use it when i planted out this spring.  For my raised bed i will follow the instructions for how much to use, but it doesn't really give any instructions for containers. How much should i use when i transplant my seedlings into their final container homes.  I have a variety of 5 up to over 10 gallon pots/bags that i am using.  I have left over promix soil that i will mix with some compost i have been making and i have ordered some worm castings that i will probably top dress on the soil.  My plan would be to also top dress the blood meal, but how much per container?  Will it burn the plant if it touches the stem?  In case it matters i will mention that i use dynagro pro foliage but i planned on using the castings and blood meal for transplant and then go back to dynagro after a month or so.  Already using diluted dynagro on seedlings that are under the light. Thanks for reading

I put about 1/8 cup of blood meal in my compost tea bags and the plants love it. When I add it to my soil I use about 1/4 - 3/4 cup per plastic storage tote (regular full size).

In my case - I try to keep the blood meal light in my mix because I add other nitrogen rich supplements, but I love the vegetation help the blood meal gives my plants!

edit: I brew 5 gallons of compost tea at a time.

I have also top dressed with blood meal. I used a little less than 1/8 of a cup for each of my pots sizes #1-#3. My 5 gallon buckets like a little more. Since I now add it to my regular soil mix and tea bags, I don't top dress with it anymore unless a plant really needs a good nitrogen boost (which happens very rarely). Never had any burns, never really noticed if it touched the stem or not, but blood meal is derived from slaughter house blood and I doubt it could burn the plant by physically touching it. Maybe if a plant was over fed, the leaves could get nutrient burn...

JoynersHotPeppers said:
There are many ways to do it but will require math.

http://www.endmemo.com/cconvert/galft2.php

My bags were 10 pounds for every 100 squarefeet so just use the link above for 5 and 10 gallon pots.
Thanks that is a useful link.

mrgrowguy said:
I put about 1/8 cup of blood meal in my compost tea bags and the plants love it. When I add it to my soil I use about 1/4 - 3/4 cup per plastic storage tote (regular full size).

In my case - I try to keep the blood meal light in my mix because I add other nitrogen rich supplements, but I love the vegetation help the blood meal gives my plants!

edit: I brew 5 gallons of compost tea at a time.

I have also top dressed with blood meal. I used a little less than 1/8 of a cup for each of my pots sizes #1-#3. My 5 gallon buckets like a little more. Since I now add it to my regular soil mix and tea bags, I don't top dress with it anymore unless a plant really needs a good nitrogen boost (which happens very rarely). Never had any burns, never really noticed if it touched the stem or not, but blood meal is derived from slaughter house blood and I doubt it could burn the plant by physically touching it. Maybe if a plant was over fed, the leaves could get nutrient burn...
You mention you love the vegetation it gives, that is exactly why i was planning to use it at plant out so that they get as big as possible before they start putting on a lot of pods.  Thanks for the advise.  

Someone say blood meal
can-stock-photo_csp12799814.jpg

The kind that I got last year stated that it expired 6 months after opening, btw, so you'll want to read up on what you got. I am thinking it wouldn't matter for using as a soil amendment, but that was not how I was using it.

geeme said:
The kind that I got last year stated that it expired 6 months after opening, btw, so you'll want to read up on what you got. I am thinking it wouldn't matter for using as a soil amendment, but that was not how I was using it.
Thanks, i haven't opened it yet so hopefully expiration won't be an issue.  

Back