• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

blooms but not many peppers

Im sure this has been asked many times here but my plants[choc habs, choc ghost, t scorps, and red ghosts] all have been loaded with blooms but only produced a few peppers. what should i try. I use 13-13-13 fertilizer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks rick.

If your plants are outside i doubt you need to hand pollinate, insects/wind should take care of that for you. How hot has it been where you live and are they getting a lot of direct sunlight each day? You could put them under some 70% shade cloth or just put them in direct sun in the morning/early afternoon then give them some shade in the afternoon when it's typically hottest. How big are your plants? Maybe they're just not ready to hold a lot of pods. It's a personal decision but due to the heat and humidity here I pinch off blooms until my plants are at least 18-24 inches tall so that energy goes into growth and they get big and full by mid July when it starts getting really hot. I also get hit by aphids at least twice a summer and feel like bigger, healthier plants aren't as susceptible to damage from infestation and any subsequent insect killer I spray them with.  

Whenever you getting alot of bloom and few peppers its many times you are using to high of nitrogen peppers love bone meal, look at the leaves and if the leaves arent nice and flat and more puckered its a sign of lack of bone meal. I use very little fertilizer except seaweed and/or fish emulsion and bone meal when I pot up or plant them in the garden

Presumably you're facing the same heat wave as the rest of TX, meaning it is too hot at night and the plants are aborting blooms.  Not much you can do, try to shade them more in the afternoon but that doesn't do a lot if it doesn't cool down soon.  You may have to wait it out and look forward to a late fall harvest.

Back