• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Blossom End Rot.

Okay this isn't for a hot pepper. It's my yellow bell plant. For the life of me I cannot seem to prevent blossom end rot. I keep thinking the next pepper is fine unlike the previous… and then bam blossom end rot. I have reduced watering a while ago. I have also fertilized with calcium. Granted it was diluted milk. None of my other peppers are having issues. Same pot size and same soil. Also, my other peppers responded well to fertilizing with diluted milk..

Do I need to hit it with more calcium? Are their other causes? It literally happens to every pod it produces so far.

mulch heavily around plant

Calcium deficiency as blossom end rot usually shows up not because of not enough calcium but because of large swings in soil moisture.

I went to a nursery a few weeks back. It was a really nice one, and quite big. I asked for "Cal-Mag" to multiple employees including a manager and no one knew what I was talking about...

Looks like Amazon is an option :)

I will try mulching. Thanks :)

Watering… before it was consistently moist. For weeks now I have been letting it get a little droopy before watering. Pot has plenty of drainage holes and holes in the sides.

Dolomite lime is made of Calcium and Magnesium.

Cal/Mag will likely be found at a hydro shop.

Spicy Mushroom said:
Okay this isn't for a hot pepper. It's my yellow bell plant. For the life of me I cannot seem to prevent blossom end rot. I keep thinking the next pepper is fine unlike the previous and then bam blossom end rot. I have reduced watering a while ago. I have also fertilized with calcium. Granted it was diluted milk. None of my other peppers are having issues. Same pot size and same soil. Also, my other peppers responded well to fertilizing with diluted milk..

Do I need to hit it with more calcium? Are their other causes? It literally happens to every pod it produces so far.
put some Tums or other solid antacid into a gallon of water and water them, it's cheaper than calcium nutes

mx5inpa said:
Dolomite lime is made of Calcium and Magnesium.

Cal/Mag will likely be found at a hydro shop.

I second finding a hydro store. The one down the street from my house has all the big brands at prices cheaper than Amazon, and I go there for all my amendments/nutes/etc.

While calcium deficiency is the primary cause of BER, it's good to understand why a calcium deficiency exists in the first place.

I grow in pots and use a general-purpose potting soil that has fertilizer mixed in, and also add CalMag once production begins because I know the potting soil has insufficient calcium. Note you can use Dolomite Lime or a fertilizer made for tomatoes that has a good calcium content; you don't have to go for CalMag. However, calcium deficiency can also be caused by lockout from excessive nitrogen. Since the other plants don't seem to have a problem, could be that this one plant has lockout. What kind of fertilizer do you give your plants, and what is its nutrient makeup? You can completely cut out Nitrogen for a while to see if that doesn't remedy the situation. Note that rain contains a large amount of nitrogen, so if you've had heavy, frequent rain, that could be a contributing factor.

Many big box and nurseries carry 'Cactus Juice' liquid fert.  It's ~6$ a bottle and contains 1% calcium.  Should do the trick...

Back