• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Blueberry Reaper ferment

So I decided to try my hand at fermenting a couple of hot sauces...the first one was a success so I decided to go with a sweet heat one... Using blueberries, ginger, lemon and carolina reapers.. it's been sitting for going on 2 weeks now..bubbling away. I don't have an airlock so I burp it daily. It smells great..and I taste it as it goes along the heat level is about what I want... But it's sorta of developing a wine like taste.... So question....am I accidentally making counter top moonshine? LoL (tried to post a video but it was too big)

Attachments

• IMG_20201208_164850114.jpg
    IMG_20201208_164850114.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 133
Looks good, I would definitely have to sample.  I've been slow to catch on to some of these fruity-hot sauces.

No, I highly doubt you'll create ethanol with a proper salt brine ferment, but I can see how the lacto funk ;) combined with some grapes or blueberries could create a certain wine-ish perception.

What was your total fermentation time?  If only 2-3 weeks, I'd recommend testing pH, or obviously at least keeping in the fridge.  Did you add vinegar or what was your post ferment process like?

Cheers,

Alex

It was right at 2 weeks in the salt water brine and then I boiled it, and store it in the fridge.

Eventually I'm going to invest in some proper airlock lids so I don't have to continually burp the jars during fermentation.

Back