• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bolivian Rainbow Peppa

I was looking through different varieties of peppers the other day with my wife. The bolivian rainbow came across us as a great looking plant.

Does anyone have any experience with growing bolivian rainbow peppers? If so, are these difficult to grow in Indiana? I know everyone has different tastes, but do they taste good? Approximately what heat may come from these peppers?

I may look into getting some seeds for an indoor plant, but I am not 100% sure yet.

Thanks,

:party:

They are great looking peppers but I don't think they are very tastey although there are both white and purple flowered varieties being traded. They are very similar looking to the chinese 5 color pepper

I love this kind of pepepr. They grow great in loads of different climates and yield a fair amount of fruit...plus their pruddy!

BR is very easy to grow, Very good looking ornamental plant.
I agree that the Pods don't taste that good but they got some good heat

Thanks all for the info.

Are there any pepper varieties similar to the bolivian rainbow (colorful pods) that have a better taste?

Puriras have multiple color and are quite tastey

1350724498_21b32cf2b4.jpg

That looks extremely reminiscent of a pepper I ate which I found growing next to somebody's front door in the Niagara peninsula. It was certainly hot. It was mildly astringent and perhaps one of the most bitter things I had ever tasted. That's when I learned what ornamental pepper meant.

Bolivian rainbows are really just ornamental and are picante and flavorless.

They make a great looking plant and, without exception, people who see mine want one and oogle the plant. Pretty easy to grow as are all chiles.

nicepepper7.jpg

I found the puriras had a bit of a smokey flavor which was quite good and I've seen them for sale in several markets too.
I believe you can get seeds for them from "seedsofchange"

Here's the description of Purira from the Seeds of Change website... I think it may be a bit exaggerated ;)

"Purira Chile Pepper
Capsicum frutescens

Caution-Extreme Heat! Bushy plants bear a profusion of unbelievably hot yellow fruit with purple blotches that grow upright and pointed. They turn a glowing orange/red color when ripe and become so intensely hot that they couldn't be measured on the Scoville scale that measures a chile's heat. "

The Scoville scale can't contain this one!! Look out Nagas! Bow down 7-pot!

Ciao all-

Last year, Duane grew a silly number of ornamentals. I put a handful in with my pickled cucumbers and beans for some heat. They also retain their colour so they look nice in the jars.

FiveStar said:
Here's the description of Purira from the Seeds of Change website... I think it may be a bit exaggerated ;)

"Purira Chile Pepper
Capsicum frutescens

Caution-Extreme Heat! Bushy plants bear a profusion of unbelievably hot yellow fruit with purple blotches that grow upright and pointed. They turn a glowing orange/red color when ripe and become so intensely hot that they couldn't be measured on the Scoville scale that measures a chile's heat. "

Proof of the old saw that words will hold still for anybody.......

Back