• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

bonchi grow log (everyone can post)

this is the grow log for the bonchi challenge. i am trying to limit the rules down to a few. IF YOU ARE NOT FROM THE US YOU CAN STILL BE A PART OF IT YOU JUST WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE PRIZE THANK YOU.

RULES.
1. everyone entered must have a seperate variety of plant. meaning if two people want to both enter a bhut jolokia. an agreement must be reached to where one person must choose a different type. if an agreement cant be reached the person who was first to reserve that plant gets to have that variety.
2. you must reserve your plant(s) on this thread asap.
3. limit of two different varieties can be reserved.
4. you must have 3 photos uploaded before or on the day of the end of the contest. one photo showing height of plant. another showing the canopy of plant. one more photo of your choice showing your plants best feature or a really nice photo.
5. your plant must be 2ft. at max. height including pot.
7. if you decide to fuse or graft your bonchi there is still a two variety limit so you must graft either the two varieties together or you can graft multiples of the same variety together.
6. your bonchi can be any type of pepper. wild, super-hot, rare, mild etc.
8. all three photos must be submitted to this thread by MONDAY, DECEMBER 16TH 2013. That should give you enough time to grow, cut down, then regrow as a bonchi.

I would like to reserve my two varieties now sepia serpent and 7pot primo http://thehotpepper.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/fireball.gif

goodluck everyone and feel free to post other bonchi experiments in here just note that those are not the contenders

HECK YEAH, I figure at the end of the season, I can overwinter a bunch of plants, and bonchi a bunch too :)
And decorate the dining room area with the bonchi's under lights :)

What my plan is to cut down the plants I want to produce over winter as soon as they are big enough and then start re-growing them immediately so they are grown by winter also I will take the multiple of the plants and let them go to pod

I like that plan.
I think i will follow suit and do that too.
Winter pods will be so very nice!

I had pods on my overwinters in the makeshift greenhouse in January, until it got down to 7 degrees outside, and the temp in the greenhouse dropped to 20 degrees :( All the pods went mushy, and the plants lost every single leaf.
I had a small heatsource in there, but it got overwhelmed by the freakish low temperature that night.
This winter, I will put the overinters in the gardening shed with a slightly larger heat source...that should keep them going much better.

Yea I think fresh is better than frozen or dried. I will have dried and frozen pods too but it will be nice to have a supply of fresh pods during winter

Maybe I shouldn't reveal my hand, but it is all in fun, so this is what I'm working on:
bRt8Kbr.jpg

Nice Stupidjerk. Since this is my first time attempting this I am taking the easy path with single plants. Less risk trying to keep only one alive when I start trimming and cutting back to make it a bonchi :)

My plants are being camera shy at the moment can't take a good pic any of them to save my life right now but with this weather we are having here up in the 80s and 70s I already have a headstart on most of you!! Plants are all outside at the moment

Well it depends on the summer we hit 115 a couple years ago and 107 last year they will definitely stop producing at some point during the summer I can guarantee that but I don't think it will kill them and the chiltepins I'm going to throw in ground because they are "desert" peppers. But I'm just going to try to get them to produce as long as possible and then bring them inside during the hot hours and days above 105 just to help them survive. I will be overwintering nearly every plant.

I should be able to have plants producing in my greenhouse during early and late winter. Mid winter it can drop to 27 one or two nights so that might a little too low for them but I know I can get my greenhouse to 50 at night and 65 plus during the day in late and early winter

Yep, pretty much the same temps here also, and they don't produce very well here either in the hottest part of the summer, but last year none died, and all kept growing...
Then in the fall, they all produced wonderfully :)

I will probably just try to keep them alive during summer if they produce I will be happy if not I will wait til it cools down

Same here....grow em as big as possible, hopefully get some pods before the big heat, them keep em alive and growing until it cools off a little, then let the pod producing begin again :)

Although, I did still get pods in the hot part of last Summer....it was just less of them than the Fall.

Although, all my future bonchi projects will be in pots, so they can be inside durong the heat of the day :)

Hey Rob, let me in on the bonchi thang. We should work together on this. You gotta hit me up man!

I'll try to decide which ones I want for the bonchi, maybe when you come over you can tell me wich ones I can still do or just lay seed for a specific type.

,Vegas

Hey Rob, let me in on the bonchi thang. We should work together on this. You gotta hit me up man!

I'll try to decide which ones I want for the bonchi, maybe when you come over you can tell me wich ones I can still do or just lay seed for a specific type.

,Vegas

Great to have another person in on this. The peppers that are already selected are on the first page, post number 8 or so I think. It is still a pretty small list, out of the 30 varieties I am growing I could still select 24 of them to grow as bonchi.

Back