Bonjour from Paris

Hi all,

So where do I start ... hum ... First I would like to apologize for my pitiful English, because as you may have noticed in my topic's title, I'm a little Froggy living in Paris. So you know, frogs don't speak a very good English.

I have fallen in love with peppers a long time ago. When I was 8 years old, I used to eat tubes of Harissa (Maroco pepper sauce) like if it was my feeding-bottle. I think it was (and it still is) an addiction, even if where I come from, we don't have a "culture" of peppers (we eat oysters, frogs, snails, even Nutria Coypu but no chillies). During my childhood I grew some peppers from time to time in the garden or indoor. During my adolescent crisis I became more interested in growing some other kind of plants indoors (like most of the kids in Europe I guess) and I think I learned quite a lot from it.

Now I live in Paris with my Mauritius girl friend, who thought she was a hardcore pepper eater until she met me. So we eat quite a lot of spicy food and to do so, we need peppers ... a bunch of them.

This year I planted (18 march) :
- 10 Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
- 10 7 Pot Brain Strain
- 10 Bhut Jolokia

The Scorpions sprouted very well (8/10) in 14 days, whereas the others are slower (only 1/10 for each variety so far). I will make a grow log, if I can do so, to explain everything.

I read this forum for a while now as an anonymous visitor, and I decided to join it because I'm a beginner and I've a lot a questions to ask to you who are experienced in pepper growing.

Okay, that's all for my first post.

See you soon folks.

hello from ALLENTOWN PENNSYLVANIA U.S.A. :welcome:
I liked your story, and from it i can see your going to get along well here because now your in good company, we all have a great appreciation for all things hot and spicy here :party:

nice little list of super-hots your growing there, have you ever eaten any of them before??, if not your in for a few surprises, there much hotter than the peppers in your HARISSA :fireball: however they are tastier so the trade off is worth it
i know that the French eat many cream sauce dishes and so the ones your growing will be a great edition to any dish you wanna add some interesting flavor and fire to, this isn't to say French food needs a little help it doesn't, but its always nice to mix things up now and then and take a break from the everyday cuisine

im sure you will enjoy these peppers and this forum as well

again welcome from the U.S.A. and from all here at T.H.P.

thanks your friend Joe

Welcome to the site PHB - glad you joined and posted. There is a wealth of information for you here, and a thriving community who will be happy to help you along on your journey. I had some trouble sprouting my bhuts this year (first try 1/8) so I purchased one of those seedling heating mats and had much better success (7/8) on my 2nd attempt. Maybe that might help?

Thanks to all of you for your warm welcome ! :halo:

@ajijoe : yes, 2 or 3 years ago I grew some Bhut Jolokia. It was already super hot, but good :) I ate some fresh and I made a sauce with the rest. This year I planted more, because last time I had only 4 plants and it was not enough to stand the whole winter.

:welcome: from sunny South Florida! :woohoo:

Thanks to all of you for your warm welcome ! :halo:

@ajijoe : yes, 2 or 3 years ago I grew some Bhut Jolokia. It was already super hot, but good :) I ate some fresh and I made a sauce with the rest. This year I planted more, because last time I had only 4 plants and it was not enough to stand the whole winter.
well then my friend it looks like your well on your way to having a good season again and its always good gain a tolerance to the heat so that you can enjoy the subtle flavors all the more, i too make my own sauces, looks like you should grow many more this season to get you through the long winter

please stay in touch and thanks
your friend Joe

Reactions: PHB
Back