• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Bonnie Golden Ghost

verne said:
The "look" is merely just a different phenotype and doesn't mean this is an annuum. Bonnie's red ghosts have two different phenotypes, at least in 2017, one smooth and one traditionally bubbly. I ended up with both phones, and one of the peppers had a scorpion tail. 

It tastes like a ghost pepper to me. While yellow is generally "not as hot" it is still potent. Walls are maybe thicker than usual. 

V

I think they just meant that it was showing annuum characteristics like one fruit per node and that calyx

Anyway, yours matches up to the label better than mine. Things might be different with my other golden ghost from a different store though.
OWcnPLG.jpg

Wthis a a small harvest from last year the plant is very prolific. Although this year due to a hail storm I think I'm going to have a late blooming season.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 78
Update on Bonnie's Golden Ghost...

It seems I have now ended up with two golden ghost plants, though they were labeled red. The second plant has all bubbly pods, which is neat, but I still wish I had a red ghost this year. 

I saw a pod turning yellow and went to inspect it but the tip was rotted and soggy. It was starting to turn yellow though. 

Also, the three orange ones I must have left on too long because they got such a dark orange color compared to the first long yellow one. When I bit into one of the orange ones it tasted like biting into an orange rind...followed by intense heat. 

V

Attachments

• IMG_3766.jpg
    IMG_3766.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3878.jpg
    IMG_3878.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3921.jpg
    IMG_3921.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 74
verne said:
Update on Bonnie's Golden Ghost...

It seems I have now ended up with two golden ghost plants, though they were labeled red. The second plant has all bubbly pods, which is neat, but I still wish I had a red ghost this year. 

I saw a pod turning yellow and went to inspect it but the tip was rotted and soggy. It was starting to turn yellow though. 

Also, the three orange ones I must have left on too long because they got such a dark orange color compared to the first long yellow one. When I bit into one of the orange ones it tasted like biting into an orange rind...followed by intense heat. 

V

Those sound like a really interesting cross. It might be something worth growing out!

Also update on one of my plants, we seem to have an issue.

QWA8LMt.jpg

I guess we'll see if it turns out to be a cross or a mislabeled red ghost. I also noticed the ghosts are off of Bonnie's website. Perhaps they won't make a return to store shelves next year.

Update: picked it and tried the bottom tip. Smells just like a ghost but I do believe it's quite a bit hotter than I remember ghosts to be. Tastes like a red ghost as I remember it. It may just be their red ghost with an incorrect label. Either way I have another golden ghost from a different store that may put out the right thing whenever it gets around to prodding.

Starting to harvest the ones I've been growing this year just to see what they are like:

First, the plant grows really well, it's at least 7-8 feet tall and medium bushy. Loads of flowers that should give me tons of fruit in the future.  The pods are about 3-4 inches long, smooth, with longitudinal wrinkles/grooves and round on the bottoms. Not pointy and spikey.  They are about fatalli level in heat, maybe less. More like a slightly above average Aji.  The flavor is about like a Fatalli, can't really taste a difference between the two.  Typical yellow flavors. 

This is probably my one and only time growing them. They are just meh. 

Back