• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

bookcase grow light?

I'm just sitting here and had this idea of mounting a grow light in a book shelf to grow seedlings, etc. Has anyone here done this before?

I grow mine on a shelf. However they where in a Jiffy greenhouse with a dome and heating pad to ensure the right growing conditions and I had a 40 watt CFL right on top of them to provide light the second they sprout.

I don't see any reason you cant do this. You can some up EVERYTHING peppers (and all other plants) need in one word. Environment. If you can offer everything they need on a bookshelf then I say go for it. :D

Hey Rob,

If you plan on raising your seedlings up to a good height to put out in a garden, you're going to need some way to either raise and lower the lights, the shelves or both. I grow all of my garden plants from seedlings that I start under lights in my basement (peppers included). Years ago I started out by building a set of fixed position shelves and hanging 4 ft shoplights over them on chains so I could raise them as the plants grew. That worked fine for a few years until I decided that I wanted to start some tomato and pepper plants even earlier so that they would be producing and in gallon pots when I set them out. I decided that I needed shelving that could move as well as the lights for more flexibility and greater height.
I mounted slotted metal shelving tracks on my basement wall and made 2 shelves for themplus one permanent shelf on the floor, each shelf will hold 4 flats. I have a 4 tube fluorescent light fixture on chains over each shelf. I plug all the lights into a 6 way outlet strip and that into a timer.

DSC01310.jpg

Thanks for the input everyone.

MichChef, good idea with the shelving tracks. If I build something I may do that as well. Otherwise I may find a used cheap bookshelf and mount the lights on chains.

rshortt said:
Thanks for the input everyone.

MichChef, good idea with the shelving tracks. If I build something I may do that as well. Otherwise I may find a used cheap bookshelf and mount the lights on chains.

Wow that's a nice setup. I wish I had room to to do something like that, but since I have a small place I just took some books off a book shelf that had adjustable shelf and moved the top one down to accommodate and just used some fishing string to tie my small light. It looked like crap, but worked for the 1 tray of seeds I did and I was able to just put the books back on the shelf afterward.

Had the same idea when work was giving away some of thier old furniture.
So decided to try it out-

rimg0280.jpg

Seems to be working very well. Just one improvement I will do is add a thermo exhaust fan for when it warms up a bit. The shelves are adjustable as well, so can be used at any height. The Panda film(white and black plastic) is velco stipped on and can be easily removed.

Happy Chilli Growing,
Micca

Wow that's a nice setup. I was thinking about a fan for mine, but I didn't want to ruin the furniture so I just left the front open and had a fan blowing on the plants.

LGHT said:
Wow that's a nice setup. I was thinking about a fan for mine, but I didn't want to ruin the furniture so I just left the front open and had a fan blowing on the plants.

Yeah that will definately work. Just iv'e got this one in my loungeroom and if I open the curtains the whole street can see the glow of the growlux's.

Nice setup with yours too, just need to fill it out a bit;)

Micca

Micca302 said:
Yeah that will definately work. Just iv'e got this one in my loungeroom and if I open the curtains the whole street can see the glow of the growlux's.

Nice setup with yours too, just need to fill it out a bit;)

Micca

those curtains open you'll have some explainin to do if you have neighbors!:lol:

Back