• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bottom leaves

I apologise if this has been asked a million times already, but I did do a search and didn't find an answer.

On most of my plants (they are 3 months old now) the bottom two leaves fall off. The rest of the plants looks fine, it's just those two leaves.

Is this a problem? I think I read somewhere that it is rather normal, but I just thought I'd check with the experts.

Am I in trouble? :oops:

Well I am by no means an expert or as a matter of
fact really know nothing about growing chile plants
(I am new at this my 1st year trying) but as I have
come to learn most chile plants drop their 1st set of leaves
(embryonic leaves I think Help me out chile experts) and
as they grow larger the drop their lower leaves as they grow
and as long as its the lower most leaves its normal.
Come on all you more experianced growers help me out here
Am I right or wrong?? seriously I want to know if I have learned anything. Wide O you have come to the right place
all the members here have helped me out greatly and my plants
would not be were they are today without them
Tom

Two of my biggest and best plants look like trees, all the lower leaves have vanished... they were the only leaves on the plant about a few months ago...

It's very normal for old leaves to fall off, once they are shaded by the top new growth, they generally tend to get a bit yellow and fall off without disturbing them much.

Here are the two plants that I speak of, they have a very large canopy with tons of leaves but underneath is a different story...

Pic0182.jpg

Pic0183.jpg

pan.jpg

I get the same, I think the plant sheds the bottom leaves knowing the food (light) is coming from the top, so there is no need to try and recover the lower leaves.

It's not happened to me on:

California Wonder
Bhut Jolokia
Red Savina

I notice that after a while, you start to get new growth where those leaves fell off anyway, cant explain that yet.

Thanks all! That put my mind at ease. Darn, this stuff is addictive.

It went from "durr, let's put some seeds in the mini greenhouse, I bet they wont germinate anyway" to nursing 60 plants in 4 months time. :)

RK, those like like mighty fine plants! :!:

Back