• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

bpiela 2020 grow + OW's

Getting to the point where I will start seedlings for 2020.  Still finalizing seed lists.  I need to buy some new lights this year. 

I have brought inside the following plants that I grew in containers with plans to overwinter:

Amarillear
7 Pot Bubblegum White
Aji Charapita
Bhut Jolokia Red
Bhut Jolokia White W Strain
Bonda Mahala F4
CAP 691
Mini Red Rocoto x2
Riesen Rocoto
Rocoto Yellow

The Aji Charapita was not happy and quickly perished.  The other plants are doing well, but I seem to have gotten a bit of an aphid infestation.  My plan is to take the plants out of the containers, recycle the old soil into my garden beds, wash the plants off and douse in Insecticidal soap, trim root ball if needed, trim plants if needed and replant back into the same container with new soil.  I am thinking of using Pro-Mix for the soil.

I will follow up with some pics of the plants currently.

Holy &_$# Ben, that's an ambitious grow list! Good luck with your 2020 grow... If you get even a fraction of your plants to fruition you should still be rolling in pods. [emoji106]
I've given up on over-wintering my Chile's here, as without friendly insects like ladybugs and lacewings to groom the plants, aphids just keep coming back. If you find something that works without shocking the plants into losing leaves I'd definitely be interested. Cheers!

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Someday I will do better with the photos.  Spending a ton of time transplanting the seedlings into 3.5" square pots and putting them into trays.  My photo skills are absolute garbage.  Seedlings are a tad bit on the yellow side so I will start feeding them nutes.  Once I get everything setup and all seedlings transplanted, I hope to post more (and better) photos.

cxZHrnx.jpg

All right.  Finishing up the ole list for the baccatums and the annuums.    What I have planned to drop around 3/1 are the following:

2020 Baccatums
Aji Amarillo
Aji Ayuyo
Aji Fantasy
Aji Golden
Aji Guyana
Aji Lemon Drop
Aji Melocoton  (using save seeds.  I had a plant last year put out some very large pods so I am going with those)
Aji Omnicolor
Aji Pineapple
Amarillear
Bolsa de Dulce
Erotica Orange
Malawi Piquante
Peruvian Giallo Arancio  (I love these.  I grow them every year)
Sugar Rush Cream
White Lightning Bolt

2020 Annuums
Alma Paprika
Amethyst Sweet (purple bell?)
Ancient Sweet
Bird's Eye (Saved seeds from a pepper that was in a Blue Apron Recipe)
Black Hungarian
Black Pearl
Champion (this might be a baccatum)
Charleston Yalova
Coral Reef (no clue what this is)
Corbaci
Count Dracula
Cristal
Devil's Brew
Dolce Di Bergamo
Ethiopian Brown
Jalafuego  (I am using saved seeds for this hybrid, so who knows what I will get)
Jalapeno Brown (I am a big Jalapeno fan, as long as they have some heat.  The super market ones are weak these days)
Jalapeno Chernobyl
Jalapeno Multicolor Purple
Jalapeno Purple
Jalapeno Tajin (see comment for Jalafuego)
Jalapeno Tiger
Jamaican Mushroom Yellow
Maras Biber
Maria Elena
Masquerade
Oda
Padron
Paprika Szegedi
Paza (dug out some old Pepperlover seeds)
Piment d'Espelette
Pueblo
Purple UFO
Rattlesnake
Rosso Dolce da Appendere
Serrano
Serrano Purple
Shishito
Sorrento
Sri Lanka Chili Red
Sri Lanka Chili Red X that I had last year.  Wonder what will happen with these.
SSE #2090
Tam Vera Cruz
Targu Mures
Tekne Dolmasi
Tepin Cappuccino
Thai White
Thai Golden
Thunder Cacho Brown
Urfa Biber
Xochiteco

I could actually run out of space if everything grows.  This list could shrink.  I am hoping to sell or give away a bunch of these.

Ok.  Still having issues with tightly curled downward leaves.  I still don't know what this is.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  More and more plants are displaying these traits.

7cJ3Zvx.jpg

xBjrQi7.jpg

FOIFkUn.jpg

Looks distressing, Ben. wish I could id the problem
for you. almost looks like some kind of virus. I get a
plant or two that does that every year, and usually
just cut it back to decent growth or chuck it. You can't
really do that with your whole grow. Have plant disease
websites been any help for you?

Ooh, I have been hit hard today.  I decided to drop a couple of plants off at Rutgers Plant Diagnostic Labs to find out what is going on with the curled leaves.  I got an email back today stating that the plants tested positive for the presence of a potato virus Y group virus (poty group).  The only solution is to destroy the plants.

I would say most of my plants are suffering from this.  This is a bummer.  I had good germination rates.  I was very happy with the plants I had selected.  Right now, almost all of my chinense plants are to be destroyed.  A sad day indeed.

Moved my OW's to the garage.  They are what brought the aphids in.  Not sure how I got the virus in the first place.  Could have been in a seed somewhere and then propagated to the other plants via aphids.  Looking at my OW's, I see some of the Potato Virus on new growth so those plants will have to be chucked as well.   I will come up with a list of the infected plants and post.  It is pretty extensive.  I sincerely appreciate the offer of seeds but I should be fine with what I still have.  I did recently (within the past month or so) start annuums and baccatums.  Those currently are healthy seedlings.  I will transplant to new, clean 3.5" pots after I get rid of the infected plants.

Can’t really put likes on these posts, Ben. 
Kind of gives OWs a bad name.

That’s pretty darn bad news. Now I will freak
whenever I see a wrinkled leaf on my plants!

Glad you will still be able to salvage a grow.
Good luck keeping the virus from your new
plants.

Hi Ben...ouch,that is really a bummer...I'm so sorry to read about this misfortune..seems like you had
some really nice plants before this ordeal.
Should you change your mind & need more seeds let me know.
Good luck moving forward.

Ok, Gotta count on what went down and what is potentially keepable.  I say potentially because I believe they look fine but if I see the leaves start curling, I will dump them as well.

It is hard to show what I have kept and when I didn't keep just because of the sheer numbers.  I have 189 infected plants.  I moved them to my garage and I am going to try spraying with H2O2 or epsom salts or something to see if there is a way to grow out of this. It is probably wasted time but I should try.  

Here is a pic of a tray of plants I call the PaulG tray.  This tray has 3 each of 3 types of Trippaul Threats and 3 each of 3 types of Purple Thunders, all infected.
Dg5u2HB.jpg

What I still have is the following:
Chinense
Bhut Jolokia White W Strain   1
Bhut Jokokia Purple           1
Brainstrain Yellow            2
Cahoots                       2
Cappy's Brainstrain Choc      2
Carboruga Yellow              2
Carolina Reaper               1
Dystopia Yellow               1
Fatalii (SSE)                 2
Frontera Sweet                1
Habanero Chocolate Lightning  2
Habanero Pumpkin              2
Habanero Tabaquite            2
JPGS                          2
MA Wartryx                    1
Moruga Yellow Monster         1
Scotch Bonnet Schneider Farms 1
Scotch Bonnet WHP             1
Scotch Brains Red             3
Scotch Bonnet MOA             1
Scotch Bonnet TFM             2
Scotch Brains                 1
Crosses
Brainstrain x Assam Bhut      1
CGN21500 x Moruga             2
Hab White Bullet x Urfa Biber 3
Krootown Cross                3
Moldavian Heart x Purple Bhut 1
Morich x Reaper               3
Reaper x SRTSL                2
SB Foodarama Red x Yellow     2
Space X                       1
Unreaper 2.0                  3
Frutescens
Aji Caballero                 2
Cabai Burung Ungu             1
Duke Pequin                   3
Siling Labuyo                 1

Still got some good stuff and I will concentrate on those.  I still have the annuums and baccatums that I started as well.  Just gotta adjust.  I will need to act more quickly next time and not be a dope.  Hope all are doing well with their corona virus experience.  Crazy times.

Back