• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Braided plants

Has anyone tried to braid their plants together and can share their experiance here?
I'm experimenting with three Habanero seedlings which I've weaded (braided) together. I transplanted them in a solo cup and they basicaly grow from the same point.
My problem is that I only now realise that their leaves really lay on top of one another and I'm afraid that if one falls behind that wont make it. Do I prone some leaves? I can't really twist or correct them because they've grown on each other (pun intended).
The main idea for this experiment is to try to fuse them and create a single twisted yet beautiful (as they ar all) plant.

Thank you for the info! I will use that in the future for sure.
Yet the problem is still there - will the foliage mess with the other plants? Or are they okay being so close together?

I tried it last year, just twisting 2 plants together. I ended up having 2 small plants until I just cut one out. The remaining was hands down the smallest plant I had last season.. hope yours goes better

STj4i6Y.jpg
vtRGbdL.jpg
Yk78Yxk.jpg

This is what I've grown so far (approximately 2 months) purely on a windowsill. It's a regular, store bought Habanero. I used two bread loaf straps to attach them together as the foliage was getting so dense that the plants started to push each other away (Yes, I'm nothing but a poor student. *cries in the corner*). I confess that I broke a few leaves while adding the top strap.
The foliage is really dense at one side. I've started to turn the "naked" side towards the window to get it to grow more there. The weather has been really cloudy with only about 3 sunny days in this month.
I'm aiming for a "sort-of" Kratky method with both soil and a space for some water or diluted regular fertilizer. I've cut both at the button and on the sides of the inner cup as a hope that the side cuts would give more air to the roots.
I'm not aiming for much harvest. Just want a nice compact plant that I can keep on the windowsill - ultimately aiming for a bonchi. Right now it's about 5cm tall...but the young Jalapeno next to it is the same height with only 3 sets of true leaves and is really stretchy (as are all of the Jalapeno seedlings I'm growing). Is that a common trait or maybe my seeds have this grown in them?

kartupelis said:
STj4i6Y.jpg
vtRGbdL.jpg
Yk78Yxk.jpg

This is what I've grown so far (approximately 2 months) purely on a windowsill. It's a regular, store bought Habanero. I used two bread loaf straps to attach them together as the foliage was getting so dense that the plants started to push each other away (Yes, I'm nothing but a poor student. *cries in the corner*). I confess that I broke a few leaves while adding the top strap.
The foliage is really dense at one side. I've started to turn the "naked" side towards the window to get it to grow more there. The weather has been really cloudy with only about 3 sunny days in this month.
I'm aiming for a "sort-of" Kratky method with both soil and a space for some water or diluted regular fertilizer. I've cut both at the button and on the sides of the inner cup as a hope that the side cuts would give more air to the roots.
I'm not aiming for much harvest. Just want a nice compact plant that I can keep on the windowsill - ultimately aiming for a bonchi. Right now it's about 5cm tall...but the young Jalapeno next to it is the same height with only 3 sets of true leaves and is really stretchy (as are all of the Jalapeno seedlings I'm growing). Is that a common trait or maybe my seeds have this grown in them?
Looks great!

Hey!
It's been about two months and I haven't killed the plants yet. Hehe! The fusion has gone well (I think) and there seems to be signs of it being a success.
Since the last pictures it has been topped once and been pruned once, and of course the bottom container has been changed from the starting cup to a 0,5l jar and now to a 1l jar. The jars were and are always covered by folding a peace of paper around it to not let light in. I think the root ball is too thick to take it out much less put it back in.
All I'm using is a sunny window and regular tap water and some tap water + liquid fertilizer at times.

abDKXek.jpg

The ruler is about 18cm.

HFmj8g7.jpg

Thinking of adding some little pebbles on the soil there.

Warning! This post contains horrible pepper plant mutilation and is not to be watched without the knowledge of possible psychological trauma.
Jokes aside, I trimmed my plant and it looks and feels like it has grow together well. I transplanted it to a bucket and it felt solidly together. I left a couple of leaves to let the plant have some source of energy but I plant to trim it more once some little branches develop. Let's hope it'll survive the transplant to a smaller container later on.

c3IwlcW.jpg

N1m4vcs.jpg

UvMLo83.jpg

VXDeAHF.jpg

Here's its' brother - a completely non-pungent (sweet) Jalapeno and a Sarracenia Purpurea. Hehe! 

W5l82tB.jpg

That's all kool and the gang for bamboo or some other "pretty" tree but unless you have unlimited space and don't want to reap the fruit, I wouldn't braid my plants for anything.

Look at these plants when they are full grown....

How the? (hell would they look all braided, with branches and all) LOL

Not to mention all the fussing with braiding it as it grows, knocking all the flowers and pods off as it grows.

These plants are too touchy and too much work to just grow them as "ornamentals". IMHO

Not in my garden!

Just my 2¢, but I'd like to see progress pics if someone does it. 

The reason I had to snip it so much was for room. The reason I did it so early was because I'm leaving in about a week and want to ready the plant while it's outside and has more light.
I've done propogation with cuttings and didn't want to try grafting this late.
This was more of an experiment and first try at growing. Heavy harvest was never the priority. I have ordered new seeds and am keeping this fella as a continuous experiment on how to over-winter a plant (if it survives).

At least I've confirmed two questions I asked last year - could one grow a plant from a store bought pepper and could one contact fuse several plants together?

Thank you for the interest!

kartupelis said:
The reason I had to snip it so much was for room. The reason I did it so early was because I'm leaving in about a week and want to ready the plant while it's outside and has more light.
I've done propogation with cuttings and didn't want to try grafting this late.
This was more of an experiment and first try at growing. Heavy harvest was never the priority. I have ordered new seeds and am keeping this fella as a continuous experiment on how to over-winter a plant (if it survives).

At least I've confirmed two questions I asked last year - could one grow a plant from a store bought pepper and could one contact fuse several plants together?

Thank you for the interest!
1. Yes you can grow a plant from a store bought pepper...odds are its a hybrid and won't grow true (in the case of most sweet peppers)
2. Yes you can graft many varieties on to one rootstock. Khang Starr does the Frankenpepper here

Back