• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Brainstrain or Moruga Scorpion???

Recently purchased a plant that's seen better days. My plans are to nurish it back to full health and hopefully get some decent pods on it. Person I purchased it from wasn't sure if it was a Moruga Scorpion or a Brainstrain.

This was the only pod on the plant. Thanks for taking a look!

cruzzfish said:
On a related note, would a brain strain being mistaken for a moruga be responsible for how varied the scoville numbers are on their official test?
When it first came out, there was heavy debate weather or not the moruga and the brain strain were the same pepper. I personally don't think they are. I also think there is more variety in the moruga strain than the brain, and that further complicates the matter.

Terravexti said:
When it first came out, there was heavy debate weather or not the moruga and the brain strain were the same pepper. I personally don't think they are. I also think there is more variety in the moruga strain than the brain, and that further complicates the matter.
Quite true. What I was referencing was more the fact that the moruga had ratings as low as 580k and as high as 2mil. I was thinking that some of the lower/higher ones may have been a brain depending on how hot it is relative to the moruga.

I can only go by what has grown for me, but my Brains have a flap underneath with a tip coming out of the centre. My Morugas also have flaps but have more of a bulge than a tip coming out from the middle. Not sure if this makes sense.

BlisterdOutPods671 said:
Haven't tasted it yet. Been really busy these past few days but I'll give it a try today and let you guys asking about heat and flavor know.

Thanks
If its a Brainstrain, it will feel like someone is shovling hot coals down the back of your throat. And if it is a Moruga, it will feel like someone is pouring hot magama down your throat. Your chances are 50/50 its going to hurt. Those are pretty good odds ;)

PeriPeri said:
If its a Brainstrain, it will feel like someone is shovling hot coals down the back of your throat. And if it is a Moruga, it will feel like someone is pouring hot magama down your throat. Your chances are 50/50 its going to hurt. Those are pretty good odds ;)
This is all true, but they also have a very nice flavour.

PeriPeri said:
Ok, now are you gonna come over here to clean up all I spit out while reading this.  Now that's funny. 

Sorry for the late update! It was definitely a Brainstrain! Never tried a Moruga Scorpion so I'm just going with what I know. To me, it had a similar taste to a 7 Pot Jonah with a more intense burn. I've only tried a Jonah, Primo, and Chocolate Scorpion.

Thanks

Brainstrains what n I've grown them have had pointier "tails" while morugas have had " Red Morugas that is" have had more rounded "tails"

Chocolate, brown, and caramel morugas seem to have the pointier tails in most cases!

Back