labels Branding/ Label design

I'm interested to know how many people are attracted or put off by 'burning ass' or satan/ skull inspired sauce labels.
Personally they are are a turn off for me and I would rather see some clever or smart textual design/artwork rather than a scull or a flaming ass, which seems to be quite prevalent, although those styles must sell units, as they are everywhere.

Sorry if this has been done before, but I am interested in peoples take on it.

Steve

Edit: Taste comes first, obviously

Hahaha

I also try to "pay it forward" - I've tripped over a lot of things starting a sauce business. I've also saved time & money from people helping me who've been where I was before. I'm a big believer in karma.

So if someone asks something that I can help them with, I assume they're sincere & I attempt to help them.

It is what it is.

The film is due out next Summer and Spielberg is attached already. He's looking at Kate Upton as "that girl who wouldn't give Scott the time of day in the coffee shop".

It's sure to be an Oscar nominee.

Glad I took the time to read this thread. Valuable information.... and I happen to agree with the idea that novelty labeling will get you a novelty/niche buyer's market. I walked into The Pepper Palace the last time I was perusing the French Quarter, and I saw hundreds, if not thousands of bottles with ghosts, demons, and what-have-you on the labels.... I walked out empty-handed. I'm not big into gimmicks. Tell me who you are and tell me what the product is. Then the flavor can stand above the label.

I think Lucky Dog, Phil, and Ala. Jack have the gist of the thing for one of the business forums. If you are creating a condiment to go with food, then keeping it simple and tasteful is most definitely the basic idea...and simple and basic includes a pretty broad spectrum of design. On the other hand, if you are intending to sell to the machismo/novelty side then over-the-top labels seem to work.

As a side note, I have had sauces that were labeled as a novelty and ended up being great condiments while others were labeled as food product but tasted like uninspired concoctions of chemically bottled heat.
If the s**t is good, they will come. And by they, I mean we.

Here's what I came up as my 2nd attempt for a label (die cut) to cover any 5oz bottle. An example also follows, but then again, I'm still at the very beginning of brianstorming design phase. At first, I tried to go all color, then I remembered the K.I.S.S. principle: keep it simple & stupid... seems to work.

Attached are the examples of my first blue logo, then my simplification.

Attachments

• 5oz woozy label.png
    5oz woozy label.png
    123.6 KB · Views: 56
  • TEST-2.png
    TEST-2.png
    284.6 KB · Views: 52
  • sno-logo.png
    sno-logo.png
    255.1 KB · Views: 52
Back