• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

BrandonB's 2019 glog!!

Wanted to wait until some signs of life were showing before starting the glog, and here we are.

Will be an outdoor container grow in humid north Florida. Will probably end with at least 10 cultivars.

Hopefully the heat and pests will be kind to me this season!!

Without further ado some 7 pot choccy and sepia serpent that are just starting their lives! Will be putting about 5 more varieties into towels tonight!!   Also i apologize for the terrible quality, im a shaky fella and my phone is rather poor. :D 
IMAG0359.jpg
IMAG0360.jpg

(How long do you guys usually let radicles go before putting into medium?)

This post isnt exactly an update, more of a learning lesson for any of you who dont do this, as its so easy to let slide.

IF YOURE GROWING IN CONTAINERS PLEASE CHECK UNDER THEM REGULARLY!!!!!  Or better yet, dont plant containers directly onto ground soil as i do yearly. 

I tend to pick up and move my containers monthly, as the grass and other vegetation tends to try and root into my cloth pots (and even plastic 5 gals) for water and N.  Usually its only this but every so often i find some "treasure"

Youre creating a dark area full of nutrients and water, and it doesnt take a scientist to know that life will soon find the spot, and move in.
First pot, june bug or japanese beetle larva (most likely junebug) placed EVER so intelligently by its mother, directly under a perfect food source, a wet pot full of green leaves D:
v2PufcE.jpg

Second pot, another intelligent placement of a larva. Dark, wet, and covered in food.

Third and Fourth cloth pots, Subterranean termites, not the worst pest you can find for peppers, but still something im not happy seeing.

Take this advice and dont place containers in ground soil unless you have to, or are certain your spot is pest free.  If you do, make sure to check regularly as these guys wouldve crawled out and did some feasting.

Edit: After some research ive learned that june bugs stay in this stage for years, and most likely wouldnt have affected my crop this year, what it does mean though is that mature june beetles that do eat foliage are around as well.  And may be one of the pests ive been fighting.

Those larvae make great catfish bait.

One of the issues I have with pots on the ground, especially conventional nursery pots, is silver maple trees sending feeder roots up into the pot. For a single season it's not too much of a problem, but anything that overwinters in place will be fully invaded by the next spring.

For pepper pots I put down pizza boxes or other cardboard first. If nothing else it keeps the grass down.

Kennylay said:
This post isnt exactly an update, more of a learning lesson for any of you who dont do this, as its so easy to let slide.

IF YOURE GROWING IN CONTAINERS PLEASE CHECK UNDER THEM REGULARLY!!!!!
Thanks for this. I'm just in the process of setting up a greenhouse, and while we levelled out the ground and got rid of the grass, I have been wondering if putting my containers directly on the ground soil is a good idea or not... We do have a pile of gravel that piles up from the dirt road during heavy rainstorms that I may be able to utilize, I'm thinking that may be a slightly better option if I put a layer down...

murfle said:
Thanks for this. I'm just in the process of setting up a greenhouse, and while we levelled out the ground and got rid of the grass, I have been wondering if putting my containers directly on the ground soil is a good idea or not... We do have a pile of gravel that piles up from the dirt road during heavy rainstorms that I may be able to utilize, I'm thinking that may be a slightly better option if I put a layer down...

I would personally recommend it.

How often do you guys get plants that fall over?   I had a 2.5 ft sweet banana topple this morning in the rain, winds werent even that bad, DEFINITELY not compared what is to be expected later in the season.  Soil was bug free and the rooting seemed pretty solid, no rot at the base so im guessing it just actually toppled from its own weight. 

Do you guys stake? Is my medium too loose?  Ive noticed that chinense are even slower at developing deep roots, so im worried ill lose my whole crop to the first tropical storm that passes by.

I've had some fall over in deep, well-tilled soil. I'm moving increasingly to no-till and that helps. I'm also growing mostly in individual holes and pots, so again, that helps. In a large patch, I've had preliminary success inter-cropping with amberique native wild bean. The vines grow through all the pepper plants and help tie them together. Nothing scientific, yet, but it seems to help.

Sawyer said:
I've had some fall over in deep, well-tilled soil. I'm moving increasingly to no-till and that helps. I'm also growing mostly in individual holes and pots, so again, that helps. In a large patch, I've had preliminary success inter-cropping with amberique native wild bean. The vines grow through all the pepper plants and help tie them together. Nothing scientific, yet, but it seems to help.
i decieded to use tomato cages as i had them around.

Ive been late on my tuesday update and will post photo updates tomorrow.  I dont want to count my chickens early but as of now my mini farm is dialed in.  Ferts are right, plants have found their feet, and growth is becoming extreme, as of last update i have inch long cayenne and hundreds of buds on the hab.

Again, some pictures coming tomorrow!!!!

Wondering if anyone could tell me whats causing this, seems to be worse with high heat but none of my other plants are effected.  Leaves are yellowing in the center as you can see in the second pic and curling.  Could this be over feeding?

eozw7w2.jpg

4ghgIdq.jpg

And updates for the rest of the plants!!!  Ill name what i can :D, a ton is going on for me now and its getting pretty fun!!!
Edit: Anyone know how to reduce image size?  Seems like my pictures are insanely large

I3v2Gc3.jpg

RWr1IvA.jpg

Jalapeno:

sskfnI2.jpg

Red Ghost:

fLtjAIM.jpg

jheUcSq.jpg

tcwnmXv.jpg

Cayenne:

tGqm6X8.jpg

ZbOQvRR.jpg

Hab:

NihEL71.jpg

Things going full bore there, Brandon!

In your climate, there are so many pests and diseases,
I wouldnt know where to start. Kudos for finding some
culprits.

Hope your summer season is spectacular, bro!

Looking good. What's in that wood pile back there that has the dog's attention?

Sawyer said:
Looking good. What's in that wood pile back there that has the dog's attention?
Those would be green and mostly black anoles,  they like to run side to side from him, and he will stay occupied chasing them for hours, i worry hes gonna get a cottonmouth bite messing with the downed trees but so far so good.

Some update shots, moved the crop into a shadier spot, hopefully they will pick up a little.

Group shot:

MO63XqI.jpg

The youngins, hit worst by the heat:

1ayBa2a.jpg

The ghost:

vZkptwy.jpg

VhsbWdV.jpg

Habanero showing the best yield of course:

ITGN2dQ.jpg

Jalapeno:

viHqgeh.jpg

Carolina reaper:  most of my later crop is showing massive vegetative growth, i think i hit my Nitrogen spot on this time.

4zgXJXO.jpg

Bell decided that its no longer reproduction time, and the other plants are following behind.  Dropped its last two peppers today while i was at work, even looks like a little blossom end rot is going on as well. I added a little cal-mag to the largest plants as i assume they are hugely deficient at this point, but getting a pepper to full term doesnt even seem possible in this heat.

Vegetative growth on all plants is still gangbusters even with the mid day wilt from overheating,  i cant shade any more than i already am, plants in the heaviest shade are simultaneously striving for more light while overheating....

As of now ill be lucky to have any hard set fruit until august or September.  Temps are near record breaking daily as they are every year here.  Wish me some cool weather boys, my peppers need it.

Heres some temps for the upcoming week, and remember the standard is for these temps to be taken or forecast in full shade conditions, so full sun, ground, and feels-like temps are at minimum 5 degrees above whats listed.  Not trying to be pessimistic, but peppers dont grow well in 95+ full shade.  I wont give up though!!!!

WsddykI.png

u9HbcHg.jpg

Back