• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Breaking dormancy in overwintered plants

I've only started overwintering plants recently and could use some good tips. Throughout the winter months (thankfully those are behind us) the plants would fart out a couple leaves here and there reminding me that they were still hanging on. Now that the days are longer and it is beginning to warm up, I've brought them upstairs into warmer conditions. Just wondering if anyone has some good hints on bringing overwintered plants out of their semi-dormant state? Any advice would be much appreciated.

If they're anything like mine at the Government greenhouse, you can start with a cordless grinder and steel wheel to get the aphids off..

Give them as much light as you can, and a warm environment. If no new shoots develop soon then you're probably out of luck and have a dead plant. You can try cutting it back and seeing if there is any green left in the branches or main stem.

Give them as much light as you can, and a warm environment. If no new shoots develop soon then you're probably out of luck and have a dead plant. You can try cutting it back and seeing if there is any green left in the branches or main stem.

+ 1

One more thing in IMO watch how much water you give it, at this stage its easy to over water, there is not a lot up top so intake is at a minimum just damp to start not wet.

For what is worth,:rolleyes: SC

Noob O-winterer here, 12 came out of the earth in November, 8 are still with us. Zone 6a. Common C. Annuums.

+1 on increasing their light. Mine get whatever they get in a currently east-facing portable greenhouse. Night temps 50F, day temps range all over the place. Not babied very much like my seedlings, they respond on the days they get more sun. I did start them on weak ferts about a month ago, using Botanicare stuff.

They are still kind of sluggish, but act like they will blast off just as soon as I move their lil house back into full sun. For now, slow-grow is still good for me. (Dang classic La Nina Spring, sucks for early pepper growin, so don't feel the need to fully wake them yet.)

Hey WR,I used it at 350 ppm as a foliar spray.There wasn't much foliage to spray but after a week it nearly exploded with new growth.I've never seen anything like it.

agree totally with what Potawie said...pour the light to them and I would give them somthing to eat too...

Knocking my piquin plant off its shelf in a 3.5 foot drop to the floor (jamming the stem straight into the pot) seems to have jump started it, but I would not recommend that approach.

For my birds,tepins,pequins and petines heat/warmth and a shot of fish emultion does the trick.
But cold here isn't the same as your frozen Tundra winters. :lol:
Warm and nitrogen seems to make them think Springtime.
Hope it works for you.

Side note:
Soil temp. isn't the same as room temp.,subtract 15-20 degrees in general or more.
Some people can't figure out why the room temp. their plants is in is 75+ degrees but their plants aren't growing...

Heat does help but it isn't as neccessary as light. My room temp is just a little over 60F and my overwintered plants always seem to show new growth even before I want them to.

Back