• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Broad Mites: Indoor problem only?

I noticed damage on some of my plants outside and it looks like broad mite damage from other people's pics. I've trimmed the damaged parts off for good measure.

What I can't tell is whether this is a major concern outdoors. I know indoors or in a greenhouse it is a big problem, but outdoors where there are natural predators and exposure to the elements, maybe it's not?

Anyone have experience dealing with broad mites outdoors? What do you think?

I think if gassy comes on here he'll tell you that broad mites can be a massive issue outdoors ...
I think it is dependent on having a climate that suits them well though obviously

Thanks Trippa... I'm hoping that a) trimming the obviously affected parts of the plants will help and that b) this climate may not be ideal for this pest...

if its broad mites start trimming the infected area, and for me when i got the infestation i sprayed them weekly with azamax till no more signs, make sure u wash your hands after u touch the infected area or it will transfer to the other plants u gonna touch like what happen to mine almost wiped out my plants

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/29565-help-urgent-pls/

Thanks guys, humid it is... :censored:

I have plants on my patio and at a separate spot in a community garden.

So far only plants on the patio seem to have them, and not all of them at that...

Eh, c'est la vie... after trimming the infected plants and the others that don't seem to have any problems, I'm hoping they'll manage and make it through... the community garden is an organic place with no chemicals allowed, so with a little luck if it does pop up there, there will be enough natural predators around from the lack of chemicals to munch on them...

Yeah, I foolishly took out all my good guys by using chems. And not only that, in the end, all I achieved was making the mite here stronger than ever. They are resistance-building machines!

What pinoy said too: be very careful because they can be easily spread! The bastages will even hitch a ride on insects (such as whitefly) to get to other plants.

No worries, geist, just wish I could give you some advice on successful eradication! Neem, botanical oils, soaps, etc, all have only ever ended up being semi-effective at best for me (and yeah, even after ensuring full coverage, repeat applications, etc). Sulfur appears to work pretty well, but as it works by poisoning the buggers, I'm wondering just how soon they will grow resistance to that too! Unfortunately, it can really throw your plants around also (well, at least the liquid stuff... I haven't tried the dust). Also, one thing to be wary of when using Sulfur is that it can react with oils and become phytotoxic to plants. They say never use oils and Sulfur in conjunction with each other and wait a month in between if rotating the two methods of treatment.

Next season I am going to try a combination of spray-less strategies to deal with my pests: raising stronger plants through growing organically, repellent strategies, etc, and if the going (growing? haha) still gets tough, possible introduction of mite-targeting natural predators.

Good luck, mate! Really do hope you get it sorted as swiftly as possible! (I'm sure there are success stories out there!)

No worries, geist, just wish I could give you some advice on successful eradication! Neem, botanical oils, soaps, etc, all have only ever ended up being semi-effective at best for me (and yeah, even after ensuring full coverage, repeat applications, etc). Sulfur appears to work pretty well, but as it works by poisoning the buggers, I'm wondering just how soon they will grow resistance to that too! Unfortunately, it can really throw your plants around also (well, at least the liquid stuff... I haven't tried the dust). Also, one thing to be wary of when using Sulfur is that it can react with oils and become phytotoxic to plants. They say never use oils and Sulfur in conjunction with each other and wait a month in between if rotating the two methods of treatment.

Next season I am going to try a combination of spray-less strategies to deal with my pests: raising stronger plants through growing organically, repellent strategies, etc, and if the going (growing? haha) still gets tough, possible introduction of mite-targeting natural predators.

Good luck, mate! Really do hope you get it sorted as swiftly as possible! (I'm sure there are success stories out there!)

I agree!!!

The only plants that I had a pest problem this year with was ones that where in bad potting mix and not doing good. When the plants were repotted the problem went away as planted got healthier from the new mix.

Back