• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Broken Stem. Any Hope?

Last week we had a pretty heavy storm with strong winds, and a couple of my pepper plants broke partway up the stem.  They still look pretty healthy, but my fear is that this will stunt their growth.  Is it worth it to even try to save them?  

Here is a pic of a jalapeno plant -- The other one that broke was a yellow bell:

CYMERA_20140508_171257.jpg

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reassurance.  I am pretty new to gardening in general, so I feared the worst when I saw them.  :)  Love this forum.

Ha! Gotta agree with the above responses - you're in the clear... Let 'er rip from here on out, that plant'll be fine.

Usually, when a plant gets topped, the growth is stunted for a little bit. But not long after, once it starts taking off, I'm sure you'll be happy that it happened.

In general I find it takes about a week, maybe two, for a previously happy plant to recover to a full "vigorous green growth" stage after topping. There are other topping methods like FIM pruning. This type of pruning heals a lot faster.

Back