• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brown 7 Pod vs. the Douglah

I had been wondering for awhile which might be hotter, I did decide that the Brown 7 pot might be the better to grow just because of the flavor, Its very hard for me to tell flavor when it comes to the super hots as the heat just comes on to fast.
By the way Slade you have more guts than me I have a hard time getting over one let a lone going back to back WOW that had to hurt.

Amazing pics Pepperproblem! Glad to see this thread still going! i love douglah but , anyone interested in the best brown superhot out there should grow Judy's 7pod brown. it's amazing!! Hotter strains are only just now coming out. it had top honors for a minute.

Many seeds were traded/given away in the past labelled as Douglah which where actually a brown 7(There are actually several versions of "brown 7 pod" going around these days). I would advise people to do some investigation before buying/trading seeds of these varieties since they are in the process of getting totally mixed up within the chilehead community

Could not agree more. I have had both this year and they are both so damn hot it is hard for me to pinpoint in a blind taste test which is which. :hell:

Many seeds were traded/given away in the past labelled as Douglah which where actually a brown 7(There are actually several versions of "brown 7 pod" going around these days). I would advise people to do some investigation before buying/trading seeds of these varieties since they are in the process of getting totally mixed up within the chilehead community
I agree!

Could not agree more. I have had both this year and they are both so damn hot it is hard for me to pinpoint in a blind taste test which is which. :hell:
2 true

Ok I picked a Brown grown from Pepperlover seed and a Douglah a hour ago.The plants were both grown in the same size pots, same soil, ferts, etc. and also were located next to other. Both are burners, but I would say the Brown makes the whole body warm.While the Douglah does not blanket the torso as much. Also, I would give a slight nod in taste to the Brown, but I have made some killer sauces from Douglahs,. They are very close, at least mine.
Brown on the left.
test34001_zps94b7d849.jpg

Brown on the right.
test34007_zps035971f5.jpg

Douglah
test34014_zps418635e1.jpg

And the Brown pooling up oil regardless of not cutting into the placenta. Sorry about the pic quality. Gettung dark.
browntaste006_zps1e553497.jpg

• I always thought Douglahs had a pendulum shape!

The "pooling" in the above picture is moisture. You can see the oil droplets underneath that aren't mixing with it. I've dumped it out of ancho peppers that could fill a shot glass. That isn't the hot stuff.The nasty stuff I have encountered usually is darker in coloration.I could be wrong though. I have a douglah plant growing that I think is as hot as any out there. Seed source was Chris. There was a reviewer here that does all the pure evil,and goofy manhood tests,and it incapacitated him. Shut the video off mid test. It has been proven that growing conditions affect heat. Never has been proven that the douglah is hotter than brown 7 or the brown hotter than the douglah.
110712101650.jpg

:eek: There are many variations, shapes and textures floating around. Here's a couple of shots of my Douglah's from 2011 (THSC)

IMG_1636-1.jpg

All pods from this seed source have been bumpy and textured.....none smooth.

IMG_1722-1.jpg

and the heat level has turned many a face................RED................ :eek:

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]pepperproblem was nice enough to send me both and the Brown was hotter and the burn lasted a longer, killer heat with either.[/background]

2012-10-24_17-04-16_444_zps2f2809f4.jpg

2012-10-26_12-46-16_112_zps210b96bf.jpg

Ok so i finally found the appropriate link on the fotobucket app to post pics here, yaaaay!
So here are a couple of rather crappy pics of a couple of my 7 pot douglahs. I am a bit confused though. Are they 7 pot browns, 7 pot douglahs, douglahs, chocolate bananas (nah, just kidding lol)... i see you all have referenced these "diff" names... the parent plant came from jim duffy last spring. The 7 pot yellow and 7 pot douglah have both yielded the same general shape...
in either case. What i thought of as my 7 pot douglah was insanely hot. Taste kinda sorta reminded me of szechuan peppercorns. By that i mean that i tasted it for a few seconds, reminding me of a numbing sensation with a taste i couldn't quite place. Not bad at all but i can't say what else it was like. I stood hovering over a sink for prob 20-25 minutes drooling uncontrollably... it blew me away. Similar hunks from my morugas & butch t's weren't even close....

Back