• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Brown Bhut

I am about to harvest the seed from this plant and i believe it is a chocolate bhut but am looking for feedback with other opinions, mainly so i can name my seed bag something other than "brown pimpled pods - 2015".  my past attempts to grow chocolate bhuts from a good vendor supply have all failed to produce fruit but this was an el nino year and almost everything i grew produced.

so, here is my story: a newbie signs up on the forum, weeks later i get a PM saying he is moving to my city and would like to meet and possibly trade seed - this is around 2012/13. his eyes bug out with my seed collection and strength/size of my plants. he gets all the supers, his collection was weak at best but he did have something that caught my eye and that was wiri wiri. he left with gold and 2 live plants(and has not been back to THP since 2013), i with my small package of wiri wiri seed...................or so i thought.......

the first couple of years the little bag of wiri wiri produced seedling that would get to 3" with they would crisp up and die, all of them. i tried soil and hydro. nothing until this year(2015) and 2 seeds grew into 10" size plants - 1 kept growing. one flowered and set fruit early, to pod was small, roundish, i thought wow, i going to get me some wiri........ or so i thought!  the plant went on to produce a dozen more pods, each pod larger than the next but more pronounced and yellow...... hot yellow jamaican mushroom turns out. my eyes set on the second plant, it flowered and set fruit late, real late in the season, green pods and pimpled, now ripening, they are browning and today ready to harvest.

i sampled a very small pod and the smell was definitely bhut. taste was bhut, heat was not at regular red bhut level but that may be the small size of the pod. taste was good, heat was on the tongue and circled the inside of my mouth, a little at the back of the throat but nothing that would make head for the milk - it was manageable.

so here is the plant:

Looks like a chocolate bhut to me.  If you tasted one of the early pods, it may still be warming up to capacity.  That said, there are a few threads around of folk that tested their chillies and the scovilles can vary substantially between plants.  Nice pods either way!  

thank you all that responded, my concern was a cross might be involved.
i will name the seeds Chocolate Bhut Jolokia(B/C), i doubt i will trade with anyone but should it happen at least a lineage trace can be done.

Reading the full story make me believe you're dealing with hybrids.
They LOOK like bhuts but 'manageable' is not the heat level i would define my choco bhuts... If you're happy with them you can keep growing them nonetheless.

Cya

Datil

Datil said:
Reading the full story make me believe you're dealing with hybrids.
They LOOK like bhuts but 'manageable' is not the heat level i would define my choco bhuts... If you're happy with them you can keep growing them nonetheless.

Cya

Datil

haha yea, the chocolate bhuts I grew this year had searing heat.  I cant say I would describe as manageable either, I got about 2lbs + from one plant this year, nice pepper indeed! 

Back