• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brown colour pods F1

I have a question regarding pod colour.

I received seeds from a fellow forumer last year and they were supposed to be chocolate scorpions. Now with season over, I found out only 1 out of 5 turned out to be brown. Red pods were typical Trinidad Moruga Scorpions and the brown showed moruga looking pods, but had some perfectly shaped Scorpion pods as well.

I was thinking about it and I'm sure some of you know how brown colour promotes when crossing. If you cross red variety with brown chili, is the F1 red or brown?

They are all hot as hell I can tell. Well, I could yell.  :onfire:

I think In the early filial generations its common to see color and pheno variations.

And on crossing the red with the brown F1? there is no telling??

For instance, if a man with black hair gets a ginger woman pregnant, what color is the babies hair gonna be? Red? Black? Brown? who knows? You wont know til' its born.

Yes, but with peppers it's a bit different. They are bred to the point all their treats are all homozygous. This way, for example, when you cross the red and brown together, you would get heterozygous hybrid with Brown x Red combination. Well, I know it's not that easy, because they are in fact both red, but the brown would have the gene that doesn't remove the chlorophyll after the pods get ripe, which makes the red pods brown. Is that Chlorophyll removing gene recessive or dominant?

I think that

If recessive, you would get exactly zero F1 brown podded plants, all would be red. The following season, you would roughly get 1/4 of plants with brown pods. If any of these would be self pollinated further, it would give you brown pods.
If dominant, all the F1 pods would be brown and 3/4 of pods from the second filial generation.

Things change completely when the original plants are not completely homozygous, then your example is more likely and you do receive a wider range of phenotypes.

Back