Brown Rocoto

That took forever,damn near 8 months! Anyone growing these?

10431603645_cfb599576f_b.jpg

10431408365_ffa4ea5d8a_b.jpg

I've got one yellow rocoto in the ground and to this day not a single flower pod has bloomed... :(
Overall nice flower and pod you got there...

Ones I grew (brown)were pretty tasteless +/- compaired to regular pubes.
Were very picky to grow at first as starts.
Once past a certain stage they grew the same as regular pubes.

White flowered Pubes have been ok so far.
Been around for a while...several years,not that special except the white buds.

smokemaster said:
Ones I grew (brown)were pretty tasteless +/- compaired to regular pubes.
Were very picky to grow at first as starts.
Once past a certain stage they grew the same as regular pubes.

White flowered Pubes have been ok so far.
Been around for a while...several years,not that special except the white buds.
how is the white pod rocots for u mike?
did they produce well?

White poded,albino Manzanos grow outs were mite infested.
Did very well for small , dying plants.
Put out pods on dead looking plants.

Post was about white Flowered Pubes and Chocolates I think...

Albinos are purple and white buds like regular pube. buds.
Plants are heavily trunked with bark on them.
Grow well under LEDs in a 7gal pot.
Going to try clones in hydro if they grow true.

PepperLover said:
wonderful pics 
i love this variety 
have you grown the white flower Rocoto before Pr0didal_son
I have grown 1 one white flowered variety. Depending on light intensity,it had a tinge of purple. I have seed for a couple more white flowered varieties that I will try to grow next season. This flower is from when it got colder out and the sun wasn't as high in the sky. Most of the flowers just had alittle purple on the edges of the corona. Usually on the backside.

9908365094_98e3c39cf5_b.jpg

thanks for the pic

i remember seeing pure white flower in john Fielder's pics.
it was amazing.

i agree with u, i had some turning whitish due to the lack of direct sun 

Aussie said:
Here's a brown rocoto from my collection. Looks more dark burgundy, especially on the inside. Seed from semillas a couple of years ago.

Mine didn't get as ruddy as yours but the inside did have a nice shade of red. Thanks for posting! The flavor is bad and the plant isn't as pretty as most pubescens,not making the cut for next season.

I have seeds from Semillas for this next year.  Bummed to hear about the taste but I might still give it a go.  Different growing conditions/climate could make for a different tasting pepper.

Mine taste just fine. No bitterness. Pods grew through the winter and ripened early spring, in a greenhouse. A lot of variation in heat from pod to pod. The plant is much smaller than my other pubescens (I have about 10 in total) but puts out a decent number of pods.

poypoyking said:
I have seeds from Semillas for this next year. Bummed to hear about the taste but I might still give it a go. Different growing conditions/climate could make for a different tasting pepper.
I have found that different conditions in the same garden resulted in plants of the same strain of Rocoto producing fruit that tasted different.

Aussie said:
Mine taste just fine. No bitterness. Pods grew through the winter and ripened early spring, in a greenhouse. A lot of variation in heat from pod to pod. The plant is much smaller than my other pubescens (I have about 10 in total) but puts out a decent number of pods.
Did you grow your Brown Rocoto side by side with another strain for comparison?

Back