• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Brown Rocoto

I grew one brown Pube a while back, but they hate my weather as they stated to bloom in the spring when the weather was still cool, but as it turned hotter than 80F. they quit blooming till fall and started to put out flowers and pods just in time for the killing frost to hit, I got 4 ripe pods out of 15 and as I didn't like the flavor, I didn't grow it again.
I did nurse a red apple shaped podded Pube for 3 years that would give me a few pods during the spring, but would quit till fall the pods did taste very good and it was a favorite pepper for a long time.
I want to add that some Pubes are self sterile and need other types to be planted along side of them, luckily most will set pods by themselves. One of the best tasting I have found is a yellow Manzano from Mexico very juicy and flavorful.

harry said:
Did you grow your Brown Rocoto side by side with another strain for comparison?

Yes, I have about a dozen varieties growing side-by-side in containers in a protected area (makeshift greenhouse at the side of my house). The brown does seem to be weaker generally and more susceptible to mites than most other varieties. I like the brown and plan to cross it with a more vigorous plant but this would be a very long term project.  

I tried growing one last year or maybe the year before, I had seed sent to me from Finland.  I had one plant, but it didn't work out... I've read mixed reviews on the flavor.

Back