• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Brown spots on pods?

On some of my bhuts there has been brown spots and when I cut them open the seeds are brown also. There isnt any holes or any bugs in or on the pods just brown spots. Its only been on 3 or 4 out of the few dozen Ive gotten so far, any ideas what it is?

Also the sun can cause browning. Peppers can burn in sunlight just like us. Really need to see pics to confirm.

Charles

IMG_6919.jpg

this one isnt bad, only 3 spots. I tossed the other ones, they had a dozen or so

I got something like that last year on some of my peppers. I think in my case it was bacterial spot, because I was having a hell of a time with it infecting the leaves (brown spots with yellow halos), and it often appeared on peppers that were directly under infected leaves. I'm not saying that that's what it actually *is*, though, I'd rather not make an incorrect diagnosis.

Did you ever get this problem identified? I've got something similar going on with my CPI bhut jolokias. I've started treating with some liquid BER treatment from Lowe's (calcium) but am not positive it is BER.

Here's what it looks like:

DSC07140.jpg

Did you ever get this problem identified? I've got something similar going on with my CPI bhut jolokias. I've started treating with some liquid BER treatment from Lowe's (calcium) but am not positive it is BER.

Here's what it looks like:

DSC07140.jpg

Definitely not blossom end rot. BER starts at the very tip and moves up.

I've seen that on an occasion, if its random don't worry about it, no bugs no problem, if your plants leaves and stems appear normal than no "early blight", or no cracked or wind damaged stems with none of the plants leaves touching or semi buried in the soil, then .........you should be ok, just throw it over the fence for the neighbors dog........(JUST KIDDING !)

yeah, the plant itself (leaves, stem) seems fine, but every pod it's produced has had this same problem. I have another bhut jolokia plant that did the same thing on the lone pod it produced so far.

i'm keeping an eye on my other varieties to see if this is an overall problem with my grow or just isolated to these plants. so far i haven't seen any signs on pods of other varieties but it seems to come on later in the pod's maturity and those pods aren't that far along.

Its called Anthracnose and or Bacterial soft rot Remove affected pods immediately, can and will defoliate plants.

Thanks for the identification HawaiiAL. I have had some of this issue on a few of my bell peppers and didn't know exactly what it was but I figured I should remove the infected fruits. Now I know.

Back