• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brown stem carolina

Hello everyone, It's my first season in growing anything and as I love hot peppers I started a few. Meanwhile I noticed something on some of my plants and I am sure something must be wrong.

First of all those from the picture are growing well but the stem does not look right.

Both have brownish stem up to the cotyledons. One of them presents something that resembles a vertical splinter.

The other has a smaller diameter on stem below cotyledons then it has above them which seams very strange.

Could you please help me identify the problem and maybe correct it or at least how to prevent this in the future?

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• 20200312_230421.jpg
    20200312_230421.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 20200312_230426.jpg
    20200312_230426.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 20200312_230458.jpg
    20200312_230458.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 84
DontPanic said:
As pepper plants get mature, the stalk becomes "woody".

To me, that's what I'm seeing in your pictures.
Ok so the woody part is normal, didn t expected to show this early.

How about the splinter and the fact that as you can see in the bottom picture the stem is thinner at the base and thicker as it goes up?

Seed planted in soil 1st of February, the plant was topped just before i took the picture because I was not able to take a proper picture by myself. The picture you highlighted is the one where the stem is thinner where you highlighted.

It's my first time so I am just assuming that ~40 days since sowing is pretty early :D

Hey CD... You helped me with:

CaneDog said:
Factors that would be helpful currently in differentiating between sunburn and anthocyanin mutation include the uniformity of the dark coloration and whether all pods are affected, including those more shielded by the leaf canopy. Sunburn will be masked to a greater or lesser degree by mature fruit color, showing more on the lighter colored pods and less or not at all on the reds.
What do they call the 

DontPanic said:
As pepper plants get mature, the stalk becomes "woody".
I could swear I remember it has some name----What is it?

Back