• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

brrrrr....but not in there!

2pm..... 6C outside........20 feet away.... 30C.

tomatoes love it.

P1000451.jpg

gotta love new camera technology, didn't even have to leave the deck to snap the thermometer, bet i could focus in on an aphid with this camera.

P1000450.jpg

i don't plan on using it mid winter tyler, unlike you that gets -20C .... at the last 2 weeks of jan., i get -35C from the end of nov. to some time in march/april.( i lived in ont for 30 years).
the greenhouse at night at best is 5 degrees above the current temperature, but at 10am when the sun hits the glass, the temps shoot up.
i was looking on kijiji and could possibly get a kerosene heater for really cheap, then in the spring, at night, use kerosene to heat the unit. but as she sits, night time temps are cold.
the unit has been sealed both internally and externally with bubble wrap, and i dug out the floor and installed a cement heat sink, but 5 C above out time temps at night is the best i can do.

Wonder what would be the result on the temp if you replaced all the tin foil and put something flat black in there to adsorb the heat.
I have a small greenhouse/cold frame 8x8x6&1/2 and i put some tall black containers in there filled them with water to absorb the sun heat then after it gets colder they put some of the heat back out..
Well i will know in 3 days or less if it helps we got a frost deal next 3 mornings.
for sure i don't think it would matter anything below -20C or even -10C

fish: i have 2 layers of dark shingles on the floor, covering the cement(same as the garage roof in the pic. yesterday hit 40C by 2pm. but the sun moves out of range by 6pm and the temps inside start to drop, 20C by 8pm.

i had considered lining the back wall with garbage bags to see how that would effect the heat, i had 2 large 6 gallon water jugs inside but pulled them out to make room for the tomatoes.

the silver tinfoil was an experiment to increase solar reflection mainly to combat aphids..... an that proved successful as i have very few on the plants. the aphids that did appear, did so on plants that were at the back and sides that received more shading - i just squished them off when i pulled the plants out to sit in the sun.

let me know how your black absorb experiment works out. i put some my plants back in the greenhouse for today just on the top shelf, the middle shelf is removed for the tomatoes.

good luck and thanks for your response.

Burning i like your set up there, i have found out also that once the sun arrives to the greenhouse it warms up quite quickly and the drops in temp when it goes down, i consider mine more of like a hoop house, its cheap but its working so far and just found out the the city that i am limited to how big of a greenhouse i could have and this little one i have is max.. but they allow 2..
anyhow i took a picture of it and placed one of the black containers on the outside of it.. there 15 gal and i have 5 of them in the hoop house, take up some room but they do work filled to the max with water and the heat goes out at night.. early in the morning i went inside and it was much warmer then the outside temps..so far so good.
Vic
001_zps376994ed.jpg

good job Vic, i saw some of your other posts and like your square containers, they will stack so nicely. who ever came up with the concept of round containers?

and don't forget, you can always vote the bastards out that make the stupid bi-laws. i am thinking i should run for mayor and run on the platform of getting rid of " stupid bi-laws that are pissing people off". then run with a team of people so council doesn't get polluted..... vote Team Colon! just because some lefties made a rule doesn't mean it can't be overturned.... don't fall to the rule of the man! we can beat them. Won't be long before they pass a bi-law that wants them to inspect your greenhouse.

good and free growing

I think that's how the "City" makes a lot of there money bye making so many stupid rules on what you can have or can do...i know in my city they have 8 employees that do nothing but drive around and write up tickets for residents who broke one of there rules.
If i were to make a nice greenhouse attached to my garage like yours for sure i would have to tear it down after they saw it.
Off topic but get this your only allowed one boat and one Trailer (not boat trailer but hauling etc) in your yard!
I had to sell two of my boats because of them now down to just one boat.

I thought when i first started growing peppers this year it would be a challenge mainly because of the shorter season but i got to give it to you guys who grow them in Canada its got to pretty tricky i would assume...

again, we got to band together a vote them out, or they will just make more stupid rules, we have the RV rule(of course every third house has an RV because that is what people do here). the RV rule is: an RV is only allowed to be in front of your house for 3 days, then it has to be moved, unless you have an RV pad on your property. but if you don't you can just drive down to walmart and park there. just a stupid rule. here is another, no washing your car, forcing everyone to use private car washes. of course the private car washes just dump into the city system; most don't care as almost every 3rd car on the road is a bmw, mercedes, acrua, lexus, landrover or other high end vehicle or SUV.

wisconsin is not that far out of reach of canada, you have similar summers and winters as southern ontario. i am at the base of the rocky mountains and a different game, luckily i am a stay at home dad and have thousands of minutes a day to devote to my plants and daughters. my wife works in a stressful highend job working on the billion dollar oilsand projects, so it kind of balances things. my forte is my furgalness, getting the most for my dollar. thus the greenhouse made from mostly recycled items, except the bubble wrap that costs me $12.00 for a box.

just checked your weather and you are that much different than mine in the next few days. 0C tonight, 9C for high tomorrow. plus or minus we are close at this time of year.

also you have to remember, southern ontario, windsor is on the same latitude as northern california. in the summer here, the sun rises at 5am and sets around 10:30pm. we hibernate in the winter as the sun rises around 8:30am and sets by 4:30pm. you should see my grow room, just above my head is a caribbean red plant loaded with pods just waiting to drop on my head.

on further study, where i live, we share a similar summer micro climate as equador and certain peruvian regions, thus why i am having so much success with baccatums and it appears pubes like my summers as well.

I think that's how the "City" makes a lot of there money bye making so many stupid rules on what you can have or can do...i know in my city they have 8 employees that do nothing but drive around and write up tickets for residents who broke one of there rules.
If i were to make a nice greenhouse attached to my garage like yours for sure i would have to tear it down after they saw it.
Off topic but get this your only allowed one boat and one Trailer (not boat trailer but hauling etc) in your yard!
I had to sell two of my boats because of them now down to just one boat.

I thought when i first started growing peppers this year it would be a challenge mainly because of the shorter season but i got to give it to you guys who grow them in Canada its got to pretty tricky i would assume...

damn, and i thought the HOA where i lived was annoying... they just tell you what color to paint your fascia.

Back