Bubblegum shape question

Still being unstable there are going to be lot's of different shapes.  people selecting for different shapes/phenos will complicate things more. There is a pic someplace on here of the originals from the breeder.  Below is the shape for the red variety I have been saving seed from the last couple years. People always say it looks like a strawberry.  I have a couple different shapes/phenos of chocolate going at the moment and just started some yellow's.
065.JPG

FreeportBum, I did not know they were still unstable.  Makes me wonder about the newer chocolate varieties and how wildly different they might be.  Still, it seems odd for the site to say they positively look like one thing and show pictures of another.  Maybe it would be better to take your approach and be more out about a line being unstable.

After all, it seems we are still in the Wild Wild West of super hot varieties.

As being mentioned above the BBG7 is still fairly unstable. Most BB7 charecteristics seem to inherit more of the 7 pot shape to it. There are also some that have more pf a Moruga shape but seem to be less common than the 7 pot shape. The one I grew in my profile picture had more of a Moruga shape although you cant tell since its from the tope view. Also, some BBG7 dont have the bleeding calyx which are not considered a true Bubblegum 7 Pot

megahot said:
Also, some BBG7 dont have the bleeding calyx which are not considered a true Bubblegum 7 Pot
The BBG7/plant I got this year from RFC/J Duffy are popping out pods with the 7 Pot shape and NO bleeding calyx.

Odd, I really thought that the definition of being a bubble gum is the bleeding.  Thinking the name was a reference to the color, I once asked what makes for a chocolate bubble gum.  Everyone who replied said it bleeds chocolate up the stem.  Hmmmmm...

ajdrew said:
Odd, I really thought that the definition of being a bubble gum is the bleeding.  Thinking the name was a reference to the color, I once asked what makes for a chocolate bubble gum.  Everyone who replied said it bleeds chocolate up the stem.  Hmmmmm...
I've seen pods from the same plant that have the calyx while others don't, and some bleed while others don't. I don't think we can call one pod bubblegum due to a bleeding calyx and not the others on the same plant that don't bleed.

ajdrew said:
I thought the same thing. In retrospect, I guess it isn't much different than having a Reaper without a super long skinny tail or a brainstrain that isn't quite as bumpy and round as depicted.in so many pics.
I will say that watching the pods develop within that super huge all encompassing calyx till they get so big it (the calyx) splits apart is pretty cool.

Brutaldiver, I would like to think that with time that culling will better define genetics.  However, I suspect that as long as there are folk getting $8.00 or more for 10 seeds, there will continue to be a large number of people doing the opposite with dollar signs in their eyes.

I remember an article I read about purchasing pattern welded steel.  The author advised that the higher quality material usually comes from folk who do not treat every bit as if it were gold.

This is essentially what you will find with nearly all unstable, maturing strains. Hell, there is still a good deal of pod variety off of strains that would be considered landrace. 

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
It's my nail I use to deseed.. :onfire:
What jumped into my mind when I read that was the stinger on a platypus.  Doesnt kill you, just gives you so much pain you want to die.  Now thinking of super villains who coat their knives in capsicum.  I really ought to go to sleep.  This stuff would be much better in dreams.

ajdrew said:

It was named "Bubblegum" because the creator Jon Harper thought it had the taste of Bubblicious bubble gum

Scorched said:

It was named "Bubblegum" because the creator Jon Harper thought it had the taste of Bubblicious bubble gum
Have read that but also read that it was from the color.  Grew them, tasted them, thought no way this tasts like bubblegum.  So figured the taste story was kind of like me telling people chocolate (insert pepper) tastes just like chocolate, wrap it in black and orange, give it out around Halloween... good times.

So are you yanking my chain or do you really believe the taste theory?  I think they taste like the original 7 pot. 

ajdrew said:
Have read that but also read that it was from the color.  Grew them, tasted them, thought no way this tasts like bubblegum.  So figured the taste story was kind of like me telling people chocolate (insert pepper) tastes just like chocolate, wrap it in black and orange, give it out around Halloween... good times.

So are you yanking my chain or do you really believe the taste theory?  I think they taste like the original 7 pot. 
That's what Jon told people he gave the first seeds and pods to. With it being an extremely fruity tasting pod it reminded him of the Bubblicious. I've never personally spoken to him but that's what I've read and heard in articles and some reviews. I get the fruity but doesn't remind me of bubblegum

Here's an article from 2012 mentioning the naming as well as some background info http://www.chilefoundry.com/2012/10/29/the-bubblegum-7-pot/

As the story goes, the bubblicious taste was only in the original cross. The next years generations did not reproduce the same taste, but the name had stuck by that point.

I am going to keep wondering if he was just screwing with people: Here, tastes like bubblegum.  Thing is, chances are I suspect that mostly because I like to screw with people.  Here, tastes like chocolate.

Back