• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Bug ID: Anyone know what these are?

I found these tiny bugs on a few of my pepper plants the other day. I don't know if they're aphids, mites, beetles, etc... I can't find any pics that look exactly like these. One of the affected plants leaves appear to have bunches of tiny pits when viewed with a magnifying glass. Not sure if it's related to the bugs. I started seeing these soon after I moved them to the basement floor. I've sprayed soap solution on the affected plants, and around the grow area.  I moved them off the floor to a small shelf, kept under a 4' light. I'm still seeing a few on the shelf every time I go down there, which is several times a day. I'm also still finding one or two on plants. None of the other plants on the table above seem to be affected yet. I've been squishing them as I find them.

P3neisX.jpg

Yeah, that pic looks like them to me too. Thanks! And they do leave a reddish stain when squished, as the wiki article mentions. One of my plants has some tiny pits and scratches on a leaf, but that could have been from my dry rough fingers raking across and squishing on the bugs. Can only see the damage with a magnifying glass. I sprayed some poison down around the basement and garage doors, maybe that'll prevent more from coming in. (If that's the source)

moosery said:
Initially I thought "spider mite" but I'm swaying more toward the possibility they're just "money spiders" - any damage to the plants?

Also - here's another possibility

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryobia_praetiosa
I used to see those on concrete a lot when I was a kid, never knew what they were.  I haven't seen any since I moved out to the countryside.  They're bright red when you squish them right?

Back