• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Bug ID

Jdee

Extreme Member
I've never seen worms like these but I am new to growing.
They were on a rope holding up some tomatoes?
One side was empty I gotta go look and see where the other went.. 
Jdee
worm.jpg

Just found a pic and it looks like a Mud dauber wasp. I do have those flying around.
I was looking up worms guess that's why I missed it  :rolleyes:

Jdee said:
Just found a pic and it looks like a Mud dauber wasp. I do have those flying around.
Lol that is what it is, didn't realize you didn't shove them into that nest. Let them be I suppose, no harm no foul.

Jdee said:
Google images can mess up the results, never seen a wasp larva look like a caterpillar.

This here, i'm pretty sure, is a mud dauber wasp larva: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tresijas/5939026494/ <-- looks like most other wasp larva.

Edit: I guess the caterpillar is the host for the larva to feed on?

Insect zombies, lol

exactly right, Jetchuka. Caterpillars are paralyzed but still alive (so technically not zombies which would be dead, right?). The wasp larva macs down on them, saving the vital organs for last. heh heh.
that could be the wasp baby down on the lower right, looking like a tiny grain of rice.

very nice pic, Jdee!

Braaaaaaaainnssss!

I have seen plenty of mud dauber nests in my days, but I never happened to open one with the sacrificial victims still inside. Cool pic!

Ají hombre said:
exactly right, Jetchuka. Caterpillars are paralyzed but still alive (so technically not zombies which would be dead, right?). The wasp larva macs down on them, saving the vital organs for last. heh heh.
that could be the wasp baby down on the lower right, looking like a tiny grain of rice.

very nice pic, Jdee!
They were not moving at all and did look alive . I usually don't kill these Mud daubers, they seem to leave you alone,
unlike the hornets  around here. But I Never seen a nest hanging on a thin rope in the middle of a tomato plant before.
My old eyes thought it was two snails next to each other when I pulled it off :crazy:

Back