• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Build your own Yellow Sticky Trap

I could have sworn I saw someone post something about this but I cannot find the post.  Does anyone make your own yellow sticky traps?  I believe you can purchase the items to make your own.  I would be interested in how people are doing this if any.

Thanks!

That might have been me, and I don't remember if it was posted on mine or someone else's thread. Anyway, here's the info.
Sticky stuff, from amazon or I have seen it in some garden centers(a little goes a long way)
You can paint it on cans painted yellow or two liter bottles if you want bigger ones. 

CBCF691D-7F7E-4147-A9F2-A8FDA85DDDA9.jpeg

37A62FC5-1D45-4711-B3CA-A756E7B9D170.jpeg

3633DB5B-FD3A-479A-AF3C-79DDA195D2E2.jpeg

bpiela said:
I could have sworn I saw someone post something about this but I cannot find the post.  Does anyone make your own yellow sticky traps?  I believe you can purchase the items to make your own.  I would be interested in how people are doing this if any.

Thanks!

skullbiker said:
That might have been me, and I don't remember if it was posted on mine or someone else's thread. Anyway, here's the info.
Sticky stuff, from amazon or I have seen it in some garden centers(a little goes a long way)
You can paint it on cans painted yellow or two liter bottles if you want bigger ones. 

post-7790-0-03083700-1620755643_thumb.jpeg

post-7790-0-24727100-1620755677_thumb.jpeg

post-7790-0-60190900-1620755700_thumb.jpeg
 _

Yea, in my search I kept stumbling over :

I'm going to get yellow construction paper next time I go to a store to make those traps...  A few months ago, I tried making traps from pieces of old manila envelopes smeared with Tanglefoot, but those don't seem to have done much, probably because the paper isn't really bright yellow. [/background]

Sticky traps made with yellow plastic and Tanglefoot

Thanks!  This was the info I was looking for.  For outdoor use, does the can become useless after a rain storm or does it retain some stick?  I am thinking I can just pop a soda can on top of a stake, paint it yellow, apply Tanglefoot and hope it catches some Pepper maggot flies.

bpiela said:
Thanks!  This was the info I was looking for.  For outdoor use, does the can become useless after a rain storm or does it retain some stick?  I am thinking I can just pop a soda can on top of a stake, paint it yellow, apply Tanglefoot and hope it catches some Pepper maggot flies.

The can remains sticky for me even after being rained on. The stuff seems to hang on to pretty much any bug that lands on it.

What paint are you using?  I am assuming I need the brightest yellow possible and something that sticks to aluminum cans.  Thanks!

bpiela said:
What paint are you using?  I am assuming I need the brightest yellow possible and something that sticks to aluminum cans.  Thanks!

I use the 2X Rust-Oleum paint, the high gloss Yellow Ginger. (I also use it in gloss silver for my containers)

F6BBDDFF-E7C6-441D-A4DA-93B27152EC85.jpeg

Do you think the high gloss is more important than a brighter yellow?  That particular Ultimate High Gloss Yellow Ginger Rust-Oleum 344692 is really hard to find in stock anywhere.

bpiela said:
Do you think the high gloss is more important than a brighter yellow?  That particular Ultimate High Gloss Yellow Ginger Rust-Oleum 344692 is really hard to find in stock anywhere.
That’s what I have always used. I get it at Walmart. I’m fairly sure any bright yellow will work but the 2X paint has the best one coat coverage.

Back