• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Building a seed trade bank

Not sure quite how this works. I see you guys trade a lot of seed. How might one go about obtaining something 'trade worthy' if he has nothing of interest that can't be obatined already locally or via the net?

Just to clarify. Absolutely NOT looking for anything free. Just wondering how you guys built up your stock on some of the lesser known varieties? Would love to eventually grow and trade with you guys, and as of this fall, all Id have to offer is some New Mexico varieties, cayennes, and jalepenos, all of which were store bought lol. Obviously nothing you couldnt just run out and get yourself at the local hardware or garden supply.

Stay here, join in on the fun and contribute with what you can (twisted jokes count!) and people might just be friendly this fall;)

Not really on topic, but one of the best things I have gotten from this forum is the satisfaction in knowing I am not the only person that has handle hot peppers and then went to visit the little boys room and come out with a case of the cajun fire crotch. :censored:

Back on topic. Looking forward to learning and building my tolerance and becoming a contributing member!

Having something trade worthy can be a difficult task for several reasons. You must be sure the seed is pure and not cross pollinated, is viable and will sprout, and having documented evidence of the grown plants from which the seed came from always helps. Seeds don't stay viable for a long time so it's not like you can continue building up a seed bank, sure there's talk of freezing seed and such, but I personally wouldn't want a seed that's over 2 years old. Having a history with the plants the seeds come from is a biggie, but if you acquire a bunch of seed from a well known source then it might be ok for people to trust your stock, and of course obviously a noobie to any community is going to have a hard time in the seeds sharing department if they don't have good evidence of the products history. It sounds like your starting from scratch so I'd suggest obtaining some known good seed and growing it out, do it right and you'll be able to share come next year!

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Pepp3rFreak said:
Having something trade worthy can be a difficult task for several reasons. You must be sure the seed is pure and not cross pollinated, is viable and will sprout, and having documented evidence of the grown plants from which the seed came from always helps. Seeds don't stay viable for a long time so it's not like you can continue building up a seed bank, sure there's talk of freezing seed and such, but I personally wouldn't want a seed that's over 2 years old. Having a history with the plants the seeds come from is a biggie, but if you acquire a bunch of seed from a well known source then it might be ok for people to trust your stock, and of course obviously a noobie to any community is going to have a hard time in the seeds sharing department if they don't have good evidence of the products history. It sounds like your starting from scratch so I'd suggest obtaining some known good seed and growing it out, do it right and you'll be able to share come next year!

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

That's the plan so far. I know "trusted" seed will be hard to come by and hopefully I can buy or otherwise aquire some from a trusted source. Fully plan on photo documenting parent plants as well as where parent plant's seed came from. Always like dabbling in growing stuff, but peppers always grasp my imagination. As far as "seed banks"...guess I should have worded it differently. I wouldnt want old seed either. Rather than a seed bank as one would imagine a stock pile, I mean variety of lesser knowns to grow and trade. Love having odd ball stuff. There is a local farmers market that a lady sells several decorative peppers at, perhaps she may have some of the superhots and other crazies. May have to check that out Saturday morning.

I got my start buying seeds. Most of my seed stock came from commercial sources. Can't find some of the harder to find, but it is a good place to start and has enabled me to trade for the others. This community is very generous with contributing members in my experience. If you are here in the fall, I am sure you will find people who will share for SASE if there is nothing to trade. I plan on doing various giveaways myself to repay some of the generousity I have experienced as well as pay it forward. And you don't need anything rare to trade. I have done a lot of trades for seeds I could have easily bought.

Have a great season!
jacob

Thanks for the advise. Any places NOT recommended to buy from? Known ripoffs? Can pm me if such a place exists. Thank you guys so much for the advice. Thought bout buying some various jolokias and a scorpian from chiliplants dot com but dnt have room this year with what I have and plus the chilies I'm putting in for green chili.

Don't buy from Reimer's. Probably the worst place. Most here will give you that same advice. Beware of buying off ebay as well. Never know what you'll get. On the other hand I definately recommend Hippy Seed Company, Semillas.de, Peppermania, and Fatalii.net (great selection of rare and wild chilis although pricey). I have had good luck with buying from them even though only Peppermania is in the US. Also check out Baker Creek and Seed Saver's Exchange. They don't specialize in peppers, but have a good selection as well as a ton of other vegetables.

jacob

I think I'm going to order some chocolate habs, fataliis, carribean reds, and maybe some scotch bonnets tomorrow along with my joe parkers for a start from tomato growers. Also joe parkers are for green chili and rest are for fun and sauces or fpowders. Maybe if they do well enough ill have some currency next fall.

Alsn what is an sase package?

Pepp3rFreak said:
Seeds don't stay viable for a long time so it's not like you can continue building up a seed bank, sure there's talk of freezing seed and such, but I personally wouldn't want a seed that's over 2 years old.

After reading this I just have to say that I started seeds this year that were over 10 years old and not stored very well, and germination was still over 50%. I very rarely have troubles with old seeds, I just usually start a few more than usual

Im with Potawie - Ive planted older seed with success as well. Its up to you really. Do you care about open pollinated pure seed are you going to do the same to keep it pure or are you interested in growing peppers that are grown in a garden outside along with your other plants ? For me Im not interested in absolutely pure seed that has been grown with the same with bonnets on each blossom but if I trade with you I will also tell you this. You will still get a pepper that mutates once in a while but that happens with all living things. I got my first seeds from a member here just by asking and gone from there. In the fall there will be plenty of seeds around. Tough to start something now anyways.

Stick around and post your Q's

Ordered bhut jolokias, chocolate habs, caribbean reds, yellow scotch bonnets, fatallis, and big jims for chile verde today frm peppergal. Any opinions or opinions on that lineup from that source? Will be late but oh well?

I started out buying a lot of commercial seeds and eventually met a lot of extremely generous, great chili growers. Once you make great contacts, it's easier to find different varieties. Chileheads are GREAT people!!

Chris

Thanks guys. Really looking forward to the Caribbean reds and fataliis. hope to build off of that and see what I like and expand on it.

LUCKYDOG said:
Im with Potawie - Ive planted older seed with success as well. Its up to you really. Do you care about open pollinated pure seed are you going to do the same to keep it pure or are you interested in growing peppers that are grown in a garden outside along with your other plants ? For me Im not interested in absolutely pure seed that has been grown with the same with bonnets on each blossom but if I trade with you I will also tell you this. You will still get a pepper that mutates once in a while but that happens with all living things. I got my first seeds from a member here just by asking and gone from there. In the fall there will be plenty of seeds around. Tough to start something now anyways.

Stick around and post your Q's

They will be open grown. Not overly concerned about pure but would like to know how to do so if I get my hands on some lesser availables, or if trading requires pure.

Back