• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Building a seed trade bank

As long as the seed you obtained was pure (known source) then you are all right you cannot get seed from an open pollinated plant and treat it like a pure plant.

Another awesome source for seeds and is a huge member and contributor of the forum is the hippy. Check him out at www.thehippyseedcompany.com its also very fun to watch his videos. I have not purchased from him but I do know he is a reliable and valued source. Another thing you can do is right now there is a seed parcel going on. If you go into here http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?15837-Seed-Trading-Parcel-2010-(Round-2)-Canada-USA this is already going on so you wont be able to join in. But it sounds like when it has completed, there will be a round 3. By then you may have been in here just long enough to have built a good rep and such and can jump on the list to get seeds.

I just want to echo what others have said about members here being very friendly and helpful folks. In fact, my entire stock of hot peppers this year (my first year making a real attempt at growing) came from a generous donation from a member. Even though they were not rare or exotic it was a nice selection of Jalapeno and Habanero peppers which is what I was looking for. I also ordered some Scorpions from Hippy a couple days ago. Not arrive yet but he may not have sent them yet as he was getting ready to leave for a festival for a few days right when I ordered them.

LUCKYDOG said:
As long as the seed you obtained was pure (known source) then you are all right you cannot get seed from an open pollinated plant and treat it like a pure plant.

Unless I misunderstood...I think he is asking how to keep his rare (if obtained) peppers pure so that he will have pure seeds to plant/trade. I am interested in this too as I would like to try to keep my Scorpions pure for future plantings and trading. My habs and japs not as concerned with.

nubster said:
Unless I misunderstood...I think he is asking how to keep his rare (if obtained) peppers pure so that he will have pure seeds to plant/trade. I am interested in this too as I would like to try to keep my Scorpions pure for future plantings and trading. My habs and japs not as concerned with.

Thats exactly what I was wondering...I know how to keep them FROM being cross pollinated...but how TO Pollinate with the right plant...thats the bigger question.

You can search the forum for more details but it is essentially hand pollinating and using tule or some light fabric for each flower till pod formation and marking which are pure unless you are going to do the whole plant - this is obviously the simple format

Thats what I figured. Seems I have seen it done with trees with something similar to a ladies makeup applicator. Now I just have to find a cheap source for fluorescent light fixtures!

I use the plain old shop lights they sell at lowes and home depot. I got mine from home depot for about $9 each. Start with 2 and get more later as you need them. Just over $20 for the lights and bulbs. But get the 6500K bulbs (daylight) for the seedlings. In my experience they grow much better in these.

As far as keeping them pure, tulle works, but you will get a higher flower drop due to heat inside the bag. I will try some in early spring this year to see if that helps. Also, if you are growing in pots, you can move the pots inside for a few days right before the flowers open, when you see a pepper forming, mark it and put the plant back outside.

Good luck and enjoy!
jacob

I ordered 10 Bhut Jolokia's from http://www.pepperjoe.com/. There were 12 seeds in his pack plus two packs of hot banana pepper and cayene free. Not sure if the seeds are any good as I will be planting them tomorrow. The Bhuts are currently soaking in warm water.

JustinNC said:
Thats exactly what I was wondering...I know how to keep them FROM being cross pollinated...but how TO Pollinate with the right plant...thats the bigger question.

Peppers are self pollinating, so after you get the buds isolated just give the isolated branch a shake every now and then after the flowers open.

Back