• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shade Building a Shade House UPDATED FINALLY!!

Hello y'all.

It is getting extremely hot here in Fl and I am going to have to get the plants off the porch and into the backyard ASAP. The plants cant seem to hold much water for long and this sun is just brutal on them. I don't want to build a greenhouse as it seems expensive and temperatures it could get to would just make the project redundant. I think a shade house is the best solution to keep the breeze coming in, without all of the heat from direct sun all day long. It might help with some pests too.

I am thinking of building it out of PVC and shade cloth. I think the only extras I will need is PVC cement and some sort of way to secure the cloth to the structure (zip ties?). Not sure on prices of any of it yet. Here is a pic of something that would be great to have, if I had the money:

shadehouse.jpg

I am trying to keep it as cheap as possible so of course mine will be scaled down a bit. I noticed by doing a search nearly all of  them use green screen. Is there a reason behind using this other than black?

Do you think one of these would work? Looks like the top might not let enough light through:

41ES7pp0-9L.jpg

If anyone has done this before I could use some advice. I am open to new ideas even if you have not actually built one before. Two heads are better than one.

Also this PVC and cloth thing is just an idea. If there is a better solution or supplies let me know- it will be appreciated. :)

That's a cool idea and pvc is fairly cheap. I'd Prolly go that route and you would have it built in no time. Hell i use zip ties all the time and that would Prolly work like a charm.

Yeah cant really think of another way to do it.

I would also like to set up some sort of table or workbench in there. I like to keep all my Shhh together.

Watching this with interest. I'm in the same boat.

Coincidentally, I have one of those Swiss Gear canopies. I've thought about trying some shade cloth across the top but the frame (at least my model) just seems flimsy for any duration of time. Plus, being from FL myself, I'm not convinced a storm wouldn't blow that right out of my backyard (no trees or or other cover unfortunately). Which leaves me looking at something more elaborate like your first picture as I'm thinking the cheaper, second choice will cause a rework.

I'd almost think something more simple - 4 solid posts with flat shade cloth across the top - would be less susceptible to a strong FL storm and work equally well. But, I'm interested to hear suggestions from those who've been down this path before.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who's outgrown his porch with his girl threatening eviction :)

Didn't think about the storms, especially in hurricane season. 

Was thinking it would be nice if it was semi portable. I was thinking of building the frame into a cube type of thing if you get what I mean. Half for structural support reasons and half because then I can just pick it up and it will hold its shape.

But that storm comment is a monkey wrench that definitely has me wondering how to approach this next.

A conduit hoophouse, either plastic conduit, which requires very few tools, or using metal conduit which may need a pipe bender depending on your config. Price these out vs standard PVC pipe and go with whatever makes sense to you. For parts, head over to Home Depot.com and type "conduit" or "pvc pipe" into the searchbox.

Google has a lot of info if you search for "conduit hoophouse" but here's something to give you a visual.

You would want to take the cloth down before a storm approaches, or before going away on a vacation.

The problem I'm trying to fix is not buying crazy over priced shade cloth. Looking for an alternative method. Camo netting for hunting? Window screening for storm doors?

Spicy echo i'd say anything that still offers some sun, even the camo netting which would give it dappled rays. Especially if they are in a spot that gets 8~12 hours of sun, as opposed to some alleyway with just 5-6 hours sun a day (5-6 hours of dappled sunshine may not be enough for certain pepper types? no idea, just a guess). You'd have to either make it wind proof, or rig it in a way where it's easy to take down before a major storm.

I've seen at least a couple of people use storm door screening, yes it definitely reduces some of the sun, and still allows for good airflow around the plants.

Another good use for the actual frame, it can be rigged like a makeshift greenhouse, and keep out those torrential spring/early summer downpours, like the ones we've had this year. <-- I did this with some extra wood + clear plastic this year, the tops were covered and the sides remained open for airflow. Or the frame can be rigged to give you an extra couple of weeks ripening time at the very end of the season, frost etc.

6StringFire said:
Apparently, I'm not the only one who's outgrown his porch with his girl threatening eviction :)
Lol... nope. I had to give in a little this year. My wife wanted her nice table and chairs back on the porch... and I hate having the table and chairs out in the yard anyways, but our front porch fits tons of plants and its covered and shaded all day except for 3-4 hours of sunlight in the morning. Works perfect.

the only thing i would say is PVC compared to the metal frame when you zip tie it to the bar and Pull  it over to the other side and want to get it real tight it is gunna flex the pvc if its like sprinkler basic pipe alot of cross braces i guess

It was completed a week or two ago. I will post pics of it as soon as I can.  :P

Became more of a hoophouse.

Its about 8 feet tall 6 feet wide and 15 feet long.

What are you going to be using?

And what are you going for as far as shape and size?

I may have some tips based upon my experience building mine.

Back