• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Building an Ebb and Flood system

I just received this info in an email.

The instructions for building your own Ebb and Flood system are quite detailed too.

DIY Ebb and Flood Instructions

Thought I'd share this info and if anyone has any feedback, feel free to share those thoughts with us here.

dvg

I like it, seems to be simple in design and functionality. I would need a green house facility large enough to accommodate 600 chili plants. I would also need to incorporate a lighting system during the winter months. It seems to have a lot of upside. I would like to hear from someone who is currently working with hydroponics and get their thoughts.

i have seen a few ebb systems and i just don't get! i understand it but don't get it.

fill the lower bucket with nutrients, put in a submercible pump with a tube that leading to an upper bucket with clay stones that every once and and awhile gets a splashing of nutrient water. perhaps it's my misunderstanding of how the clay stones hold and retain water, then your seedlings grow in this round clay stone mixture that every once and a while getting a little shower, then a return hose allows the nutrient water to flow back into the lower bucket, with a timer on the pump to activate it a couple of times a day so your seedlings don't dry out and don't forget the air pump and airstone for the nutrient mix to keep that mix oxygen rich. the pictures and results are evidence that it works, i just don't get it.

i do get aerophonics and have 2 systems working right now and just bought the accessories to make 2 standalone aerophonic stations as my fatalii & scotch bonnet plants have become so large they are shadowing my other seedlings.

plus the cost of the clay pellets, i just about shit when i saw the price of the stones(think it was $35 for a bag), yes one could say "but they are reusable" but i reuse my promix - maybe one day i will give it a try.

and yes, you would still have to incorporate lighting.

I'm gonna give a small hybrid NFT system a go this year. I'll be able to grow 16 pepper plants in it and am excited to see how it turns out. I was going to do the ebb flow but it seemed to cost more and have more labor involved when one has to clean all the expanded clay. My NFT system uses the expanded clay in 3" pots. I bought a small bag for under $10 dollars and there is enough expanded clay to have a system double my size.

That site you linked to has some great articles on it relating to building the ebb flow system. He has some scans from an article he wrote in a magazine about building a large ebb flow setup.

http://www.fatalii.net/urban/u1-2.jpg
http://www.fatalii.net/urban/u3-4.jpg
http://www.fatalii.net/urban/u5-6.jpg

Thanks for sharing DVG I was trying to come up with a design as well and this is much much simpler than what I was coming up with -

Thanks for sharing DVG I was trying to come up with a design as well and this is much much simpler than what I was coming up with -

You're very welcome LUCKYDOG!

If you end up following this design and building this set-up, do let us know how it performs for you.

dvg

Back