• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

building up tolerences

I have always liked heat, generally with food. lately I have started eating peppers at every break while at work, completely chewing, swallowing and allowing the pepper to peak before consuming my meal. however, the peppers I am refering to are mostly serranos and super chilies and occasional bottles of tabasco habanero sauce. although I can handle these without an issue. every now and then I get a pepper that lites me up. when I consider the peppers that I am consumings scoville heat rating, I feel like I am not getting anywhere fast in building up my tolerence.

I am a short time away from having pods that I dare not outright eat as we are talking about going from 25,000 (what I an eating now) to 1.4 million SHU or more.

Maybe Im not approaching this right, suggestions please.

I was scared out of my mind when first trying super hots but then I just went for it your tolerance sky rockets after that start out with pieces first. Honestly Serranos burn me as much as superhots its just how that type affects me. Some of my favorite sauces I can't detect heat from anymore

Just don't eat the whole pods from the 1.4 million peppers. Just use little bits in the food that you eat. I had never eaten anything hotter than a habanero before this season. Now I eat Ghost Peppers on a daily basis. I eat hotter peppers than the Ghost also but in very small amounts and not every day. My tolerance is definitely building.

Ocho Cinco said:
Just don't eat the whole pods from the 1.4 million peppers. Just use little bits in the food that you eat. I had never eaten anything hotter than a habanero before this season. Now I eat Ghost Peppers on a daily basis. I eat hotter peppers than the Ghost also but in very small amounts and not every day. My tolerance is definitely building.
My first Ghost lit me up.

But I loved it.

Moderation. I don't "mainline" whole superhots.

I may eat a whole one that I really enjoy, but not all at once and usually not by itself.

You will know when you are reaching a decent tolerence when a jalapeno burns like a pickle.

I.E., not in the least.

With lunch at work tonight(3am) I ate my standard sandwich and about half of one of my Morouga Scorpions in bites between bites. Great heat and flavor. I switch up what pepper I take so some get eaten completely and others like the Barrackpore get nibbled. While not hotter, I think, the Barrackpore's flavor is not on par with the Morouga Scorpion, IMO.
Fatalli's on the other hand are gone in 2-3 bites. Yummmmmmmmmmm

The real fun part is the hand off. I will hand off the uneaten part to someone at work. It is getting harder and harder, but new people are getting hired. :rofl: They usually just take my advice to touch the open part and lick their finger......hey this guy was snacking on it with no puking or tearing up so......WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then they do whatever with it. The ones that put it aside to save are the ones I know are hooked or have been addicts already :lol:

If you eat typical serrano heat, you'll be able to only handle typical serrano heat.  The ones that are atypical light you up because you aren't used to them.  Jump into the deep end.  Your tolerance will sky rocket.

I would start out by eating a habanero and work your way up from there. That's what I did and it worked like a charm for me!

I know how you feel OP. I am working my way up also. Mostly I have been using habanero sauce. I can eats bites of chocolate habs with no problems. With food mostly. Mostly. But I have some jalapeno :drooling:  puree made with whole pods I am getting ready to tear up. I will be making some ghost puree next. I will be there some day. 

When I dont have any pods ready to pick I have been using Tabascos habanero sauce. 1 bottle last me less than 4 days, I can almost drink it. If I didnt have to be so frugal with it, I could probably cash out a bottle in a day or 2

I've been trying to get my tolerance biult up as well jalapenos go down like candy habaneros still burn but its an enjoyable burn for me unfortunately that's the hottest I've had now the reason that is unfortunate is that I am expecting a box of super hots to arrive in hours so I am left with no other option but to jump straight into the deep end but oh well nothing but fear and common sense slowing me down now.

the only thing that gets me when eat a pod is the capsaisin taste its REALLY strong and for me personally makes it harder to swallow them lol atleast i think thats the taste im tasting in every pepper bcuz almost all of them have it

I've been trying to get my tolerance biult up as well jalapenos go down like candy habaneros still burn but its an enjoyable burn for me unfortunately that's the hottest I've had now the reason that is unfortunate is that I am expecting a box of super hots to arrive in hours so I am left with no other option but to jump straight into the deep end but oh well nothing but fear and common sense slowing me down now.

A lack of fear and common sense is not my friend just a part of a red brain strain that sucked my tongue still feals funny.

compmodder26 said:
If you eat typical serrano heat, you'll be able to only handle typical serrano heat.  The ones that are atypical light you up because you aren't used to them.  Jump into the deep end.  Your tolerance will sky rocket.
I agree with Brian. I also agree with Megahot. Buy some fresh Habs and eat a few of those before you try to eat the superhots. Once you can eat 2 or 3 Habs at the same time, you are ready.

My first Bhuts freaked me the f**k out and at the time I could eat Habaneros no problem at all. Once you know what to expect, it`s all plain sailing. Ok, that bit about plain sailing was a blatant lie  :P  It is true that once you know what you are getting into, your tolerance for the heat and pain goes up very quickly. Sometimes, it`s the endorphin rush that freaks you out, because if you haven`t experienced it before, you have no clue what is going on. You can`t teach that, you just have to go through it, come out the other side and do it again. 

Oh, and film it!!!

I have been working up via hot sauces and pods. Jalapenos and habanero slices. But I recently made some white Peruvian habs puree with seeds and it cramps me. Not real bad but cramps non the less. I don't mind the heat pain but cramps I hate.
I also have ate a Jamaican yellow scotch bonnet and it was awesome. It didn't bother my stomach at all.
SO, does ones stomach also build up a tolerance also? Because I ain't gonna stop eatin hot peppers.

Made a big batch of pepper salt out of the 5 hottest peppers last year.

I use it on everything and take it with me when eating out.
Usually, someone notices and wants a try.
Most of the time, I end up giving that one away to a new convert.

Keeps the tolerence up when short of poddage.

My orange habs just started to ripen. I pulled one and cut it open to examine it. removed the seeds and consumed the whole thing piece by piece. thought it to be a good starting point. I have since pulled 4 jalapenos from the vine that I have let fully mature. very disappointed in this years jalapeno heat. I had planned on making my not so world famous jalapeno/pineapple jam.

Back