• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

building up tolerences

I'm with Nigel your tolerance does biuld fast I've been eating pieces from reapers an red brain strain as often as I can handle it and I can say without a doubt at less than 48 hours from my first bite of super hots and its not nearly as bad as that first couple bites

Gotrox said:
Made a big batch of pepper salt out of the 5 hottest peppers last year.

I use it on everything and take it with me when eating out.
Usually, someone notices and wants a try.
Most of the time, I end up giving that one away to a new convert.

Keeps the tolerence up when short of poddage.
Pepper salt? I am curiously interested.

Pepper salt is pretty good I have pepper sea salt its just salt with pepper soaked in it. The problem is its easy to over do it. It's either too salty or not spicy enough

Numerous ways to make it.
I am no expert---matter of fact I screwed up my first batch so bad I had to re-crystalize it all, and grind to size.

Somewhere in the second processing the magic happened, and it is edible.

Best to make it !!!HOT!!!!.

It is vastly easier to add more salt later, than it is to add more peppers.

Gotrox said:
Numerous ways to make it.
I am no expert---matter of fact I screwed up my first batch so bad I had to re-crystalize it all, and grind to size.

Somewhere in the second processing the magic happened, and it is edible.

Best to make it !!!HOT!!!!.

It is vastly easier to add more salt later, than it is to add more peppers.
or to remove salt.
thx

Peppers have different heat profiles.  My cayennes have and immediate heat whereas the thai's slowly build in heat after eating.  I feel like this is part of the problem when trying to build a tolerance for certain types of super hot peppers through the use of other peppers.

You probably have a valid point. And I am sure there are probably peppers with heat profiles that would be best suited for building up to the superhots. However, one would not only have to have prior knowledge of these, they would also need access to them. And I think based on your standard grocery store selection (which dont measure up) they would be faced with an availability situation.

The only other solution is have at the superhots directly. Not my 1st choice.

So, with hindsite and/or firsthand experience, what peppers would anyone recommend for the task. Keeping in mind easy accessability is paramount.

Serranos they are readily available decent heat and you can eat them with every meal there is a guy on YouTube that eats 3 or 4 hawaiian peppers with every bite of food and he barely feels the heat of supers

Really? I think thai´s hit you like a car in 80mph and as soon it started its all over again. Thats my observation after growing my own thai´s, buying thai´s at thai shops and eating it many times in Thailand. 

I don't really know what variety my thais are.  I grew them from seeds from thai's from my farmers market.  (thai chiles are a broad variety and I have no idea what I have or even if they are pure, which I am sure they are not.)  All I know is that the heat slowly builds from the tip of my tongue eventually to the bottom, and the back and outside of my mouth and sticks around.  Whereas the cayenne peppers I grow come on strong immediately and the heat does not stick around too long.  

To clarify what I meant.  I think that building a tolerance to one pepper using another pepper may be difficult, and I do not know why biologically or chemically.

HP22BH said:
The only other solution is have at the superhots directly. Not my 1st choice.

So, with hindsite and/or firsthand experience, what peppers would anyone recommend for the task. Keeping in mind easy accessability is paramount.

Why not superhots?!? No one said you have to eat one whole. A small 1mm sliver is enough to light you up but not enough to leave you in agonizing pain for too long. If you're not growing them, buy some from the vendors here. They are offering great deals now. Buy a bunch and make powder or hot salt that way you have it available all year.

I just dehydrated 4 trays of ghost peppers and 4 trays of TSBT are next. I put 'dat shit on everything.

Jeff H said:

Why not superhots?!? No one said you have to eat one whole. A small 1mm sliver is enough to light you up but not enough to leave you in agonizing pain for too long. If you're not growing them, buy some from the vendors here. They are offering great deals now. Buy a bunch and make powder or hot salt that way you have it available all year.

I just dehydrated 4 trays of ghost peppers and 4 trays of TSBT are next. I put 'dat shit on everything.
that makes alot of sense. I like the idea of drying and making powder from them.
The 1 mm sliver is probably the way I was going to approach the supers anyway when it came to eating fresh pods. my pain tolorence is extremely low to begin with and I must have been one of the lucky ones to be born with extra capsaicin reseptors. at least, thats what it seems like sometimes.

Tinben said:
SO, does ones stomach also build up a tolerance also? Because I ain't gonna stop eatin hot peppers.

Somewhat.

The stomach just needs something in there to process with the pepper. If you eat a really hot pepper on an empty stomach the result can be rather painful.

That is understated greatly.

Naga Chomper said:

Somewhat.

The stomach just needs something in there to process with the pepper. If you eat a really hot pepper on an empty stomach the result can be rather painful.

That is understated greatly.

LOL

Every time this topic comes up, it reminds me of the Youtube video of the old man eating the bhut jolokai. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tRq8ExAHzk

Jeff H said:

LOL

Every time this topic comes up, it reminds me of the Youtube video of the old man eating the bhut jolokai. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tRq8ExAHzk
lol, that's hilarious. I eat like 3-5 Thai chili a day with my meals, they're hot but I love them. Camping over the weekend a buddy asked to try one and he just popped the whole thing in his mouth and chewed it all up nicely....lol, funny stuff as he tried to keep a straight face wheile tunring redder than the chili and tears running....Mmm good.

HP22BH said:
that makes alot of sense. I like the idea of drying and making powder from them.
The 1 mm sliver is probably the way I was going to approach the supers anyway when it came to eating fresh pods. my pain tolorence is extremely low to begin with and I must have been one of the lucky ones to be born with extra capsaicin reseptors. at least, thats what it seems like sometimes.
That's a good route to go and also how I handled my first try of Butch T's. It was bearable and the flavor was amazing

Back