• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bulldog's GLOG

I am SO impressed with this website! I'm glad I stumbled upon it! Now, I am so happy I stumbled upon this subforum! I've been gardening for about 8-10(?) Years. I always threw in a few Jalepeno peppers. They literally grow like weeds here in south Louisiana! So I never had to do very much. Jowever, last year was my first year really growing. My son is now 16 months old, so it's given me a good "escape" from the house!

I'm trying to save my favorite Tabasco pepper from last year. My peppers I overwintered did fine, until about 2 months ago when they got nailed by aphids. Never dealt with those before! I've done everything I can. I lost most, but the Tabasco is coming around.

So far I've grown:
Jalepeno
Bells
Tabasco
Habaneros (all died - early)
Anaheim (some cheap assorted variety and it produced one pepper!)

This year, so far, I'm growing:
Tabascos
Habaneros
Jalepeno
Cumari? (My dad got a plant from a client from brazil... they called it a "Yellow Brazilian". Very hot and very small) this is my first ever experience saving seeds and growing from them!
Pablano
Bell

I am looking for some Big Jims and maybe some others. I know I'm probably a bit late to be starting seeds, but all the above were started back in January. I'm still looking for more things to grow. Just in case!

1ac2a07c7c06823f947d887776d95d66.jpg

Here is a shot of the square foot boxes I've been using for my regular gardens. They keep growing! I've had great luck with onions, lettuces, cilantro, basil, and carrots. I'm really throwing time and effort into it this year! The soil is pretty fertile here, so my soil is local soil mixed with compost, cow maneur, and a bag of miracle grow compost/veggie.

Most of my peppers are grown in pots. Here are my tomatoes and some of the pepper starters going on the window ledge! Most started in peat greenhouse pots to get them going and then to the plastic cups before hitting pots!
ab803d42eb6d6ad7f23b86e7f022b6f9.jpg
(don't mind the screen! Bad dog)

I'll update some photos soon!

Any Advice for a new pepper grower? Advice on good peppers to try out?
A few more readily available photos.
8acbb718fa1a597c2b041be62f614a99.jpg

b2805ed061048aca76ea855d8210cd18.jpg
mostly tomatoes and habanero peppers on the window!

I moved two more Yellow Ghosts to soil today! Just got back from New Orleans (mini vacation) and had two more sprouting!

Also stopped by the Pepper Palace in NOLA. I'd never seen it before but they had some pretty good sauces ready for tasting!
8baedad89c7c428bde70862714dfd783.jpg

This was the one that snuck up on me! Cajun Ghost. http://www.pepperpalace.com/Pepper-Palace-Cajun-Ghost-Hot-Sauce-p/m351.htm

Btw I have absolutely no affiliation with these people. Just enjoyed trying the hot sauces!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quick progress update:

d8ce277edc6b43a0fa85259a7afc8ce0.jpg

Tabasco peppers are blowing up! These are going to be hot sauce soon!

1913a666eba4acde2d0828a568d96607.jpg

My crazy Jalepeno plant. I call him lefty. He got knocked over last year but kept producing great jalepeno's. This year it grew outwards and has begun to grow upwards too!

63e5b2828fcca2a6efa8cbb84e7ba70e.jpg

This one is one that I thought was dead after the winter. It grew late and died off... then started growing again. BUT it was covered in ants. So when reporting to a different pit I got attacked and it kind of fell where it landed... way too shallow in a ~3-4 gallon pot. It's producing a ton of jalepeno's though for its size!

84dee12b5008c88b22736523d02e2e59.jpg

Brazilian yellow...cumari I believe... last year's that just stayed growing and bushing up

Pardon all the tall bad grass. It's been raining and I've been too lazy to mow!

I got hit with blossom end rot on my Roma tomatoes! I've had HORRIBLE luck with tomatoes the past few years.

I added some bone meal, but Idk if it'll do much at this point?

These were supposed to be some sort of yellow Brazilian pepper. (Cumari?)

I don't think they're growing true though. My dad got it from a client from down there... he grew hundreds of little yellow peppers. I saved some seeds this last year. I'm wondering if it's a cross pollinated pepper.

aa1918e29da914cda6c348c1be2e9eae.jpg

He has a ghost pepper near his Brazilian! 8-)

The jalapeño is looking good though!
ed288514d32a58b6a46e2084645ca80b.jpg
(this was one was basically written off to die and it's rebounded!)

Bayoubulldog said:
I got hit with blossom end rot on my Roma tomatoes! I've had HORRIBLE luck with tomatoes the past few years.

I added some bone meal, but Idk if it'll do much at this point?

Blossom end rot...aka BER. Been dealing with it for years. Here's the cure and believe me it works! As I get very few good maters if this is not followed due to high PH in the soil, yeah I need to fix that someday ;)
Get some calmag. I've using a gallon for 4 years and it's still almost full. 1 teaspoon per gallon of water, apply it foilar, I use a standard watering can and wet them in the morning 2 times a week if I can. Once it's this hot it's just on weekends. Just don't apply in mid day. 2 years ago, 48 mater plants, just one BER mater. Last year I was sick and in the hospital. The wife cared for the plants, watering them as needed. More than half had BER. I didn't have the heart to tell her she had more work...LOL

One last thing Roma's are BER prone. Try San Marzano's, I have 3 dozen this year going...they do way better down here in the south..

BTW: nice pepper work!

Pests are killing all my fruits/pods. I'm losing several a day! Birds, squirrels, or something! Lost about 7 big tomatoes in the past few days and a big bell. I've lost several jalapeños too!

It's starting to tick me off! Lost lots of lettuce to slugs, but these things are just gone! Nothing there and nothing left

419a4985a6e4ed6978882c258424f13c.jpg

f4a362e0655e2a4214bcd79af9773ded.jpg

Hot sauce time! One little ghost, Tabasco peppers, habaneros, and red jalapeños.

The "Habs" I've grown this year are very small, very thick and very red. They're fairly hot, but very fleshy... I'm wondering if they're really something else?

Bayoubulldog said:
Hot sauce time! One little ghost, Tabasco peppers, habaneros, and red jalapeños.

The "Habs" I've grown this year are very small, very thick and very red. They're fairly hot, but very fleshy... I'm wondering if they're really something else?

This is why I am only growing from seeds from reputable sellers. I am only growing a handful of plants and if they aren't true that's such a waste of time.

So I still had about 90% of my plants in good shape up to yesterday. With last night's 22 degree weather I don't think they'll make it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I planted a bunch of seeds from last year. They all worked! All but one! Tomorrow I am going to begin my real 2017 plantings!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back