• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bumble Bees

anyone experiencing a lack of bees? its been a week and I haven't seen a single bee, a couple of weeks ago one flew over my head and up over the house and that's the last bee I have seen!

i do have little sweat bees/flies visiting my plants on occasion... lots of wasps though.

Very few bumble bees here, but the honey bees are out in huge numbers this year; a nice change from the small numbers last season.

Strange...over here in my neck of the woods it is the exact opposite. I see bumble bees EVERYWHERE but can honestly say I have only seen ONE honey bee this year. Maybe it's just where I'm located but most every time I take the dogs out for a hike or just a walk around the neighborhood I only ever see bumble bees.

I was having a problem pollinating some of my melon plants, went to book store bought a book on bee's it said to place a few drops of anise oil around your plants. Bought some anise oil at the local drug store mixed a couple of drops in 4 oz of veg oil drop-ed around my raised beds next day bee's every where, bee's can smell it for miles

I use to see them years ago , tons of them. Then I didn't garden for years ..... when I started back last year only saw a few at the end of the season. So far this year nada.

HawaiiAl ..... thanks for that tip !! I'll give some anise oil a try.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Yes, thank you Alex for that extremely valuable tip, you are turning out to be a very important resource to the THP for many of us.

Since I first submitted this post, I believe my total count of bumble bees is 5 and may include counting the same bee twice; bumble bees are important to me, not only for my container plants that still have really only seen 2 full nights outside but also for my garden tomotoes.

I wonder if I could just use anise seeds, grind them up and make a tea and use it like my epsom salt spray; I don't believe I have ever seen anise oil but then again I have never really had a need to look for the oil. I do have the seeds and use them in soups and sauces.

Burning Colon ..... the start of my season has sucked for the most. But I'm getting pods now. No bees just wind enough to spin you around. I have no idea if other bugs are lending a hand or not.

Anise seeds that you make into an oil or spray may work in my mind. Not so sure about the seeds. The wind could blow them away I'd think. Now on the oils that others have made I can tell you those oils are strong. My wifey does all this mixing and witch craft type Voodoo stuff using oils to ease the pains of man and beast. Most people know clove oil will stop a tooth ache. So I guess some of what she does may work.

Sorry ... back to anise oil. Wifey gets her oils , all types , in many places. The grocery store , drug store , health food stores. It seems many places cater to wives like mine. I'm going to rob her stash. I think the oil would last longer because it's so strong. I'm going to rob her of a little and put it on scrap 2x4 little blocks. The blocks won't get blown around and if I don't like anything else it draws into my garden ... I can drop them off in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Thanks for your input Dreadie.

Sounds like your wife is into all natural cure solutions, good for her in her attempts to assist one's immune system to help avoid or ward off sicknesses.

I am sure I can find anise oil, I just have never looked for it as I have had no need in the past. I do use foods to assist in maintaining my health, grow my own herbs which I have to now go out and pick, then toss them in the garbage. why? Because my wifey decided to use a spray machine to paint spray fence boards and decided to spray near my gardens. So, I have cedar red potato plants, french tarragon, two types of oregano and two types of thyme. Good thing my peppers are located 5 feet off the ground on my deck and away from her painting artwork. You should see the grass!

From my research, it looks like anise oil is also used to attract mice, youch! I have sonic gadgets in the garage to ward off field mice and backed up with strategically placed traps. I didn't find one reference about it attracting bees, I did find a reference of it warding off insects and it being the "catnip for dogs". Alex's advice has worked in the past, so I trust his experience, the Internet is just a starting point to help in research but I questioned everything I read as there is some much conflicting information and unsubstantuated data.

My thinking process, is to make a tea/mix with ground anise seed, put it in my spray bottle and mist around my plants a couple times a day, especially early in the morning, to attract the bees. If the mist blows away, that's okay - like Alex said, the bees can sense it for miles, that will be an initial invite, plus it may assist in confusing any field mice from coming around. Funny story, a couple of years ago we had a mouse get into the house and caused quite a lot of excitement. First detected by sparky, our Eskimo/Sheltie mix, she was all over the house sniffy like crazy. As time went on, she focused her attention on my dresser in our bedroom, we pulled it apart and found mouse poop, while pulling the dresser apart I heard the wife scream and jump on the bed - mousey ran over her foot and out of the bedroom, down the hall, Sparky took off in chase. I placed Bounce sheets in all the drawers, closets and at the base of our bedroom door, our kids bedroom door and then strategic locations to force the little sucker into one area in our dining room - it appeared to work as a few nights past and Sparky wouldn't leave the dining room. I put a mouse trap loaded with peanut butter in the kitchen between our fridge and counter on the floor and dragged Sparky back into our bedroom. 20 minutes passed and SNAP!

(for the record, the dog's name is not sparky, I call all dog's sparky, that way I don't have to remember any dog's name .... just call them all Sparky).

Just came from garden web there's a bee keeper that said what i did about anise oil, you can buy it in any drug store or market my wife bought mine at safe-way.

Back