• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bumps, lumps, stingers, and etc.

I have sampled enough individual peppers that have convinced me that bumps and lumps equal heat. I have compared lumpy peppers and rather more smooth peppers coming from the exact same plant and the same time, and the lumpier ones were WAY hotter.
This doesn't mean that a smooth pepper can't have heat, and I won't even start to talk about genetics, but I will be trying to make the lumpiest peppers I can. Tom
I like where you are going with that on making the lumpiest ones you can LoL!

Has anyone played around with that Carolina Reaper? At all just wondering since it is supposed to be the hottest right now just wanted to know if someone can validate the heat :fireball: on that bad boy!?

I have not been lucky enough to observe spikiness in pepper pods I have noticed bumpiness, but have not tied pod shape and the increase of heat with those factors, although it quite plausible.
I will be intentionally inducing genetic mutation in hopes of getting a fertile tetraploid this coming season to see if pod shape and size will be effected along with plant size and shape. I plan to use a standard T.scorpion and record any changes from the norm. I expect lager plants along with changes in pod shape and size I'm hoping for a big difference in the amount of heat that the pods have, compared to T.S. that have not been mutated. I am also hoping to see lots of bumps, spikes and more placenta inside the pods.

Here's one that had a few spikes on it that grew from those Ebay Butch T pods, I've posted about before. Was grown from some Butch T seeds I bought on there and that must have gotten crossed pollinated.

Can see the spikes on the left center and right center as well as one on the tip of the pod. Was two more spikes on the back side.

Helldozer did a review of one of the other pods and said it was quite hot.

Not sure about this one as it was ripened off the plant cause I knocked it off while I was digging the plant up to repot for winter. was half ripe, so just ripened it out to aleast get some seeds. Was only 8 seeds in this pod. Rest of the pods had atleast 20 or so in them.

Any ideas as to what it was crossed with...Butch T X ?????

Check with brian2112 he can show a wicked pod. I would share a picture I ripped for my desktop, but it is his doing.

I looked through and found it
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/24310-baddest-looking-trinadad-scorpion-ever-saw

My Aji Limons had spikes this summer when the temperature was blazing. They, along with even my superhots, have "smoothed out" as the weather has cooled off. I think hotter temperatures stress the plants more, and when plants get stressed, they also tend to get hotter. Seems reasonable to relate bumpiness to heat level.

Stink bugs can apparently also leave these kind of marks on peppers, someone told me about these being prone to that...

Back