• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

"Burger King"

Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spamity spammmmmmmmm!
02may-Monty-Python-Spam-sketch.jpg

Go buy a Whopper, step on it with dirty shoes, then let it sit there for a week, then drop it in the toilet, then nuke it and wrap it back up, and it should taste like a Whopper. You can also skip those steps and it will taste the same. :lol:

On a serious note, I haven't had one in yearsssss! They always had an awful old cigarette ash singed taste or something, the bottom bun was soggy with weird juices, and everything was disgustingly mushy. The hot pink limp tomato with mayo juices in it was a nice complement to the ashy shoe leather.

Really. Why? LOL.

The Hot Pepper said:
Really. Why? LOL.

Exactly what I'm thinking!

I'd say your best bet to replicate that flavor is to take a couple of the store made frozen patties and grill them over an open flame.
Put the burger on a stale ass bun with the lettuce, tomato, onion, and the condiments of your chioce.
Wait for a decent rain and dip the entire sandwich into a dumpster behind your favorite 7-11.
That should do ya good...

C'mon, haters. The Whopper isn't a bad idea (in concept) for a burger at all. Imagine one was made by someone who cared about how the burger tastes and used ingredients that weren't the cheapest available. 
     Sometimes i like lettuce and tomato and mayo on a burger (sometimes it just gets in the way). For those times I think a homemade whopper would hit the spot. Thin, slightly charred, cherry wood-kissed slider-type patties on a toasted sesame seed bun. Mmmm. Melt on some American cheese (I like American on burgers), add some homegrown leaf lettuce, a big slab of mortgage lifter tomato, some mayo and pickles. Mmmmmm.
    If done right (not stepped on, not stored in a food-humidor swimming in synthetic au jus, not spit or or even aged in a trash can  :rolleyes: ), I think it's a good model for a burger.

Recreating nostalgic items is interesting to me.

Every now and I again I churn butter in my KitchenAid, too ...

I pop my own popcorn on the stove too :shudders: ...

It really doesn't end here, you can't imagine how manual of a process I turn my coffee drinking into ...

I did a review here for a guy who makes a living by recreating popular restaurant foods.  His name is Todd Wilbur.  He had a tv show for a short time.  I know he has several books out there, and I have actually tried a few of his recipes and he is damn good.  Maybe he can help you!

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
C'mon, haters. The Whopper isn't a bad idea (in concept) for a burger at all. Imagine one was made by someone who cared about how the burger tastes and used ingredients that weren't the cheapest available. 
     Sometimes i like lettuce and tomato and mayo on a burger (sometimes it just gets in the way). For those times I think a homemade whopper would hit the spot. Thin, slightly charred, cherry wood-kissed slider-type patties on a toasted sesame seed bun. Mmmm. Melt on some American cheese (I like American on burgers), add some homegrown leaf lettuce, a big slab of mortgage lifter tomato, some mayo and pickles. Mmmmmm.
    If done right (not stepped on, not stored in a food-humidor swimming in synthetic au jus, not spit or or even aged in a trash can  :rolleyes: ), I think it's a good model for a burger.
He's trying to replicate how you actually get them at BK... with liquid smoke for the burnt ashy taste, and something called Meat Glue as a beef additive.

Nothing wrong with a homemade burger with L&T and mayo like you described! But that's not a Whopper.

His girl likes the fast food taste of it.

The Hot Pepper said:
He's trying to replicate how you actually get them at BK... with liquid smoke for the burnt ashy taste, and something called Meat Glue as a beef additive.

Nothing wrong with a homemade burger with L&T and mayo like you described! But that's not a Whopper.

His girl likes the fast food taste of it.

So, wait, you've never bought beef tallow and par-boiled some spuds and made vintage McD's fries before? ...

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
I guess I misinterpreted the intent.

^That's fucked up
THIS I approve of, making it better but using the concept. I even voted for it!
Look: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/47307-begin-burger-throwdown-patty-wars/page-3#entry1000052

grantmichaels said:
I can't recommend occasionally indulging your girlfriend enough. Works wonders ...
Tru dat!

Hmmm you know what I just realized? People may like Whoppers because they remind them of BLTs. The ashy/slightly smoky patty being the bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo, with the tomato getting warm and absorbing mayo like a sponge.

Why don't you take some of the awesome bacon you just ordered in the mail, and make a kickass BLT but on a squishy large sesame burger bun?

I bet she would dig it!

But then they swear it is just 100% beef with their wording.

"Our burgers use only 100% USDA beef."

This may be true but with this wording it doesn't mean there is not other stuff in there. It just means the beef they use is 100%. I can make a screwdriver with 100% orange juice, but not of 100% orange juice. Then it would not have vodka.

Then sometimes they say of but they say they just mean the meat part, and don't count the spices, which yes, a lot use MSG and artificial shit too.

They can also use bi-products and pink slime as it's "beef."

They tricky word it all up legally.

BK is like the RC or Jolt cola of the fast food burger world.  But 4 months ago I was out late and crushed an original chicken sammich with o rings.  CRUSHED EM I tell ya!  Pretty sure the weirdo fat and artifisticated msg double kicked all the alcohol that was swirling around in me and I woke up feeling good enough to not hate myself for the tee many martoonis the previous evening.  I consider that a win.      

If replication avoids pink slime and indulges a partner it's a gesture worthy of high praise.  Go On Then Good Sir!  To The Flavoratoretor! 

Back